what parts of animals do you feed to your dogs?

we feed a lot of venison to our dogs, and other than a few bones that even Slag can't crunch through, very little is left for the trash. I would guess that a single deer will net a gallon bucket of bone pieces after the dogs are through with it. Heads are a particular favorite for some reason, although a large skull piece is always left, just too hard I suppose. And during other times of the year there are spikes in what we can get from the killers near us. Lamb, cows, pigs all seem to have a different "season". We get fat from the butchers year round. My Vegetable garden this year is being planted with the dogs in mind as well as what we will eat. Occasional roadkilled deer if they are picked up early enough. What WONT you feed your dogs? We won't feed the windpipe or guts, and cape out deer but some hair is left on the leg bones and heads, but other than those few things, basically everything gets used.

Lyra (Southeast Asian Orvchatka) enjoying a doe head

IMG0657.jpg

I also feed a lot of venison/rabbit/lamb and beef,and,as you said they love the heads,but,I do skin them................

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

As for what I won't feed my dogs,one of the things is any supporting bones ie. legs as they can shatter and could choke the dog.

regards..........Martin.

Mine get everything from the ear tips down to the toe-nails. I've always worked on the assumption that a) if they didn't like it they wouldn't eat it and B) wild dogs don't skin their kill before eating it.

Edited to add: I have no idea why that smiley face is coming up in the middle of my post, I've tried editing it out but it won't go. :blink:

Edited by Neal

I avoid really dense bones like beef long bones, but other bones if it's not eatten than my lurcher picks them clean before I remove them.

As for soft body parts - no intestines unless they're in anything I am feeding whole, like rabbit or squirrel.

But I try and feed whole prey model - so pretty much anything is fair enough. Only venison I've been able to feed is a bit of roadkill we were able to pick up and a few bits and pieces gamedealers have given me, I've heard that venison tripe is even better than ox tripe for dogs. My dog ate all of the head bar the cap of the skull under the ears and antler. So I cut the ears off and he had them another time.