Hiya, i'm after a bit of advice please. My lurchers are on the BARF diet which includes plenty of raw bones and generaay their teeth are very clean, however I have noticed a build up of tarter on their top incisors right next to the gumline. How can I get rid of this other than a trip to the vets.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Phil

Incisors?

Do they consume all the bone you feed them or do you ever give them bones to strip clean (then removed the bone to prevent tooth damage)? Because I keep my lurcher's teeth clean by providing a range of stuff designed to clean the different parts of his mouth. Different teeth do different jobs and therefore to clean them all you need to provide stuff that works them all (over time, not necessarily in the same meal). I sometimes gets beef ribs or bits of spine from my butcher, my dog strips all the membranes and any meat off and his incisors look fine. If I don't provide anything like that then they get dirty. Once a week or once a fortnight keep my lurcher's incisors white.

Even on raw bones etc some dogs will get a thin line of plaque along the gum line of their top canines: I just chip it off with my nail: get the edge of your nail above the plaque and lever it off, levering AWAY from the gum line. If your nails aren't strong enough then carefully use a small penknife: but be careful NOT to scratch the enamel.

Don't use files etc as this will abrade the enamel's surface making it even easier for plaque to stick to! If you make examining your dog's teeth, nails etc a daily habit, then they won't mind you doing their teeth. I generally sit on the sofa, or the ground and lay the dog next to me so its head is in my lap: mine never mind it at all, but make sure you're really gentle, and that when you lever a hard bit of plaque do so in a very controlled manner: you don't want the instrument to slip and damage the dog's gums on its lower jaw. Sometimes it requires a bit of strength, but keep your muscles tense so that when the plaque suddenly gives way your hand doesn't shoot out and do some damage!

Far better to learn how to do it yourself than have the dog knocked out at the vet: and saves a lot of money too!

deer leg bones are quite good as well, lots of sinew to get through.

If you know someone who is a dental technician, they will normally be happy to give you their old cast off scrapers. Or go round a kennel club show, the grooming booths often sell scrapers. But as said above BE CAREFUL, don't gash open your dogs gums, and don't scrape so hard that you damage enamel

You could try using Plaqueoff,it's a natural product made from Seaweed that you add to the food.

Softens existing tartar making it easier to scrape off,and reduces the build up of new tartar.

I didnt find it very effective although some other people who used it swear by it :) I use a dental scraper for the tough stuff on the molars and just my nails on the soft stuff on the eye teeth.

Setter

your own nails should be able to pick most of it off if not try using one of them wooded squers they use to truss turkeys ect as wont do and damage yet are hard enough to pick off,if all else fails just dont look in there mouth!!!!

Difficult

I had this with mine. Tried all sorts - changing diets - hard chews etc. I did end up having to go to the vets and he put the dog under and basically chipped it off. Needs sorting though otherwise the gums/teeth deteriorate and decay sets it.

Bob G

Ha your dogs a woose! my old bitch had a build up of tartar on a few of her molars and stood and let the vet take it of without any anisthetic....few uncomfortable moments but other than that she stood still till it was done....change of diet from tinned meat to dry meal and bones to chew keeps them in tip top condition now

You could try using Plaqueoff,it's a natural product made from Seaweed that you add to the food.

Softens existing tartar making it easier to scrape off,and reduces the build up of new tartar.

I've heard of dogs getting sick from this being added to their food. There's investigations ongoing in the US (where this product originates) I believe.

ive always wondered this ,,,as my brother has a couple of dog,s with bad teeth,,,and my dogs have pearly whites

he keeps his in kennel and uses chudleys --- i keep mine in house and also use chudleys

he gave his knuckle bones ---- i gave mine pigs ear,s---yet i have a 4 year old that still has puppy white teeth

i think it might also be down to the dogs,,,like humans , some have bad teeth some dont,,,i dont know if keeping them in house makes any diffrence,,but i dont know what iam doing right ,,but my other 2 dogs have really good teeth also,,,,i guess iam lucky,