Urgent advise required

Whilst out the other night I found a ferret, (well my terrier did, twas' latched on his nose) bought the poor wee fecker home, put him in the spare hutch, my wife agreed to look after him and sort him out (she's loves em lol), she left him to recover from his ordeal and just fed him and gave water for the first day, on the second day she handled him and he is spot on, no biting etc.

However she has now discovered that he is riddled with ticks! all over his body and his ears are a mess, she has removed about 20 so far using cotton buds dipped in vodka, however at this rate it will take months to get them all off. Does anyone have any better ideas to ge them off, or know of any over the counter treatments available? Or is a trip to the vets the answer?

We would be very grateful for any input and advice, atvbv Richard

Whilst out the other night I found a ferret, (well my terrier did, twas' latched on his nose) bought the poor wee fecker home, put him in the spare hutch, my wife agreed to look after him and sort him out (she's loves em lol), she left him to recover from his ordeal and just fed him and gave water for the first day, on the second day she handled him and he is spot on, no biting etc.

However she has now discovered that he is riddled with ticks! all over his body and his ears are a mess, she has removed about 20 so far using cotton buds dipped in vodka, however at this rate it will take months to get them all off. Does anyone have any better ideas to ge them off, or know of any over the counter treatments available? Or is a trip to the vets the answer?

We would be very grateful for any input and advice, atvbv Richard

HI arcticgun

sounds like the ferret has been out on it's own for a while with that ammount of ticks put a little frontline on it only a drop i always put a bit on the ferrets when i'm doing the dogs

hope this helps

regards mike

simple answer mate get down to your locol pet store and get a tick hook get it home and take them all off in one sitting ... if the ferret has that many ticks on him it runs the risk of anemia so get some offal into him (lambs liver is good) that will boost his red blood cells and combat the anemia ..........

Guest ferret feller

i got a bottle of frontline spray for about a tenner it treated all of my ferrets and is still about half full today i put it on every month one spray on the back of the neck sorts em out good :thumbs:

Hi i use frontline spray but i spray them all over just mind there eyes i also if they are really bad use surgical spirits get a pipet and put 1 drop of s/s on each tick and they will just fall off if you put more than 1 drop on them there skin goes a bit red but it does work hope this helps DM

My ferts picked up a few ticks the start of last season,most to small or in a awkward place to get even with the small tick puller.Frontline spray sorted them out,just spray onto Marigolds & get the ferts coat damp & rub into the skin but keep away from the eyes,mouth & the ticks will fall of dead 24-48 hrs later,some may need pulling out so give the fert a good check over :thumbs:

I read in one of jackie drakefords books. Ticks breath through their arses and if you put a small amount of vaseline or correction fluid (Ti-pex)on the tick, it will loosen its grip after and short while and can be pulled of with a pair of small metal tweezers.

This may sound like a load of old B******s may be abit cheaper than other medicines from vets and pet shops.

She also said about using some old aftershave and the alcohol in the lotion will make the tick back out immediatly. Mind you some of that old spice and high karate is enough to make anything sod off sharpish. Worth a try.

Regards

Hugh Janus

I read in one of jackie drakefords books. Ticks breath through their arses and if you put a small amount of vaseline or correction fluid (Ti-pex)on the tick, it will loosen its grip after and short while and can be pulled of with a pair of small metal tweezers.

This may sound like a load of old B******s may be abit cheaper than other medicines from vets and pet shops.

She also said about using some old aftershave and the alcohol in the lotion will make the tick back out immediatly. Mind you some of that old spice and high karate is enough to make anything sod off sharpish. Worth a try.

Regards

Hugh Janus

Problem with doing that is they spew the contents back into the host & if the ticks infected with one of the diseases they carry then the hosts likely to become infected , best ways a tick picker or frontline them if theres loads of the things