It is almost exclusively roe. We spotted some fallow the other day, close to a permission. But sadly not on it!

Roe are tiny for deer, so they fall over easily with most stuff. The 223 will work happily so with a 243 any bullet does the job really. Since the light stuff is messy, it's neck or head shot since otherwise you lose most of the deer. I am happy enough to make that shot out to 200 yards or so, so it's easy enough to use the lighter bullets on them.

Right then...

I'm in the market for a new .243, or at least I will be as and when the ticket turns up!

Seen a few that I'm not familiar with:

Mossberg ATR100 (appears cheap and nasty yet Google says they shoot straight)

Browning A-Bolt (always seem nice when I handle them, but never seen one shoot)

And there's that old favourite, the Remington 700, which I like as it has a 24" barrel so should get good velocities.

in an ideal world I'd get a Tikka this time round, but in true style we only have the short barrel variant now, and in 243, wanting to push 55gr bullets really fast, that's not going to work for me. Shame!

Probably erring to the Remington, although have also seen a T/C Icon, which look good on the website, but then that's not hard!

Does anyone have one of these rarer beasts, and if so does it work?!

Have a look at Cooper rifles on http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/mainpagefront.htm should get a good deal off Brian.

Guest remmy

hi mr logic as you know i stalk with a Remington 700, I have chopped it back to 20" and it shoots even better than it did before, as for loosing fps I wouldn't worry about it, I had a pal, off this site out the other day and we were shooting balloons out to 367yds using my drop chart with 87g hollow points, that's in a 1 in 10 twist barrel going @ 2880fps. I shoot a fair few roe a year and a few fallow and reds and it does the job no problem at all, get it chopped you wont look back, alb remmy.

Edited by remmy

For now, I think the 243 project is on hold - I shall keep my 223 for the time being, and that will do everything except deer. Certainly it has done thus far, and I'd rather have a shotgun than the 243 (see my soon-to-be-posted shotgun thread!)

But, who knows, I might get bored quickly (it has been known!!) :)

MR Logic,

I had a .243 Sako Finlite nothing but trouble with it, tried all sorts of ammo and the only one that would hold a good tight group was the 58gr Norm's. Before that the groups where 3-4" and all over no pattern to it at all tryed the lot weights heads home load just shot shit ... so it went now have a Blaser and that shoots like a dream

so stay clear of SAKO FINLITE's

NS

Well lads, a lesson for you, if you can afford it buy the best in your own mind and that feels good to handle for you!

The other way is to buy the budget brand and tune it yourself (bedding action, floating barrel and testing loads).

Make up your mind if it will be a long term 1 owner or will you at worst get your money back when you sell it.

A-Bolt excellent, Tikka excellent, Rem excellent

ATR 100 - good reports.

I personally have purchased 2x of the Marlin XL7 cheapest in the Australian market (200 pounds each) - 1x .270

1x 30.06 - they shoot like a dream with factory ammo out of the box, better with reloads.

My total cost for the two guns including 3x scopes was just under the local price of 1x A-Bolt or Tikka (no scope).

My personal reasons to buy 2x of this model is that they are to be used in rough places at least 8 hours drive from home and are likely to be dropped or damaged in some other way, so why not have a spare rather than spoil my two weeks hunting (goats, deer, pigs, donkeys, camels, horses, runaway cattle). The two different calibers will do all the game I listed no problem.

USA gun makers have got budget guns now for several reasons, the economy, competition, market demands.

They literally cant afford to make a piece of rubbish because the market will shut them down, it is that tight.

Having raved all of that,

buy the gun you are most confident to point and carry, the one you feel is value for money and around 1.5-2 moa accurate is all you need, barrel length is irrelevant as all will produce plenty of velocity for your needs especially with your own loads.

Deer as a target gives you a four inch point to aim at, place a projectile in there and Bambi is in deep poo, and ALL of the guns you have mentioned can and will do that easily.

Lastly, stick with the .243 as I think you realize that you can always load back, load up, light or heavy projectiles - it is a lot more versatile than the .22/250.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will work it out.

MR Logic,

I had a .243 Sako Finlite nothing but trouble with it, tried all sorts of ammo and the only one that would hold a good tight group was the 58gr Norm's. Before that the groups where 3-4" and all over no pattern to it at all tryed the lot weights heads home load just shot shit ... so it went now have a Blaser and that shoots like a dream

so stay clear of SAKO FINLITE's

NS

Well they do say a bad workman blames his tools! hey NS

Well lads, a lesson for you, if you can afford it buy the best in your own mind and that feels good to handle for you!

The other way is to buy the budget brand and tune it yourself (bedding action, floating barrel and testing loads).

Make up your mind if it will be a long term 1 owner or will you at worst get your money back when you sell it.

A-Bolt excellent, Tikka excellent, Rem excellent

ATR 100 - good reports.

I personally have purchased 2x of the Marlin XL7 cheapest in the Australian market (200 pounds each) - 1x .270

1x 30.06 - they shoot like a dream with factory ammo out of the box, better with reloads.

My total cost for the two guns including 3x scopes was just under the local price of 1x A-Bolt or Tikka (no scope).

My personal reasons to buy 2x of this model is that they are to be used in rough places at least 8 hours drive from home and are likely to be dropped or damaged in some other way, so why not have a spare rather than spoil my two weeks hunting (goats, deer, pigs, donkeys, camels, horses, runaway cattle). The two different calibers will do all the game I listed no problem.

USA gun makers have got budget guns now for several reasons, the economy, competition, market demands.

They literally cant afford to make a piece of rubbish because the market will shut them down, it is that tight.

Having raved all of that,

buy the gun you are most confident to point and carry, the one you feel is value for money and around 1.5-2 moa accurate is all you need, barrel length is irrelevant as all will produce plenty of velocity for your needs especially with your own loads.

Deer as a target gives you a four inch point to aim at, place a projectile in there and Bambi is in deep poo, and ALL of the guns you have mentioned can and will do that easily.

Lastly, stick with the .243 as I think you realize that you can always load back, load up, light or heavy projectiles - it is a lot more versatile than the .22/250.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will work it out.

ooks like you have good shooting in aus I.E (goats, deer, pigs, donkeys, camels, horses, runaway cattle). OH and roos!!!