Right then...

I'm in the market for a new .243, or at least I will be as and when the ticket turns up!

Seen a few that I'm not familiar with:

Mossberg ATR100 (appears cheap and nasty yet Google says they shoot straight)

Browning A-Bolt (always seem nice when I handle them, but never seen one shoot)

And there's that old favourite, the Remington 700, which I like as it has a 24" barrel so should get good velocities.

in an ideal world I'd get a Tikka this time round, but in true style we only have the short barrel variant now, and in 243, wanting to push 55gr bullets really fast, that's not going to work for me. Shame!

Probably erring to the Remington, although have also seen a T/C Icon, which look good on the website, but then that's not hard!

Does anyone have one of these rarer beasts, and if so does it work?!

Well...did my DSC1 with a remy 700, twas nice but v heavy (it was a heavy barreled synthetic jobbie)

I've got a mossy shotgun and it's agricultural but does exactly what you need it to, I don't know if the same can be said for their rifles.

My shooting buddy has an A-bolt in .243 and it's lovely. He puts norma 58gn Vmax into well under an inch at 100 yards (and he's not the best rifle shot in the world!) The mag system takes some getting used to, but is excellent once you're familiar with it.

James

Right then...

I'm in the market for a new .243, or at least I will be as and when the ticket turns up!

Seen a few that I'm not familiar with:

Mossberg ATR100 (appears cheap and nasty yet Google says they shoot straight)

Browning A-Bolt (always seem nice when I handle them, but never seen one shoot)

And there's that old favourite, the Remington 700, which I like as it has a 24" barrel so should get good velocities.

in an ideal world I'd get a Tikka this time round, but in true style we only have the short barrel variant now, and in 243, wanting to push 55gr bullets really fast, that's not going to work for me. Shame!

Probably erring to the Remington, although have also seen a T/C Icon, which look good on the website, but then that's not hard!

Does anyone have one of these rarer beasts, and if so does it work?!

Not really into all the text book literature but you will not go wrong with a Tikka, good rifles and very accurate out of the box... I've been splatting foxes and deer using 58grain all season so has david off here, can't comment on the other rifles, but they do what they need too, no sweat... Whats this about pushing 55grain bullets not going to work, wouldn't worry about barrel length just try it...

My worry is just that I'm after a rifle for high velocity light loads, and the 5" or so that's missing from the Tikka's barrel Vs a Remington SPS will probably = somewhere in the region of 200-300fps, which is a lot really! I should think it'll work in terms of accuracy without a problem.

on averager your going to loss about 15 to 25 ft of velocity per inch loss of barrel, in the .243 don't ask me where but i read it somewhere..... ;)

plus pushing at max velocity it is going to be a tad sore on your barrel,

i'd suggest using the 58g v-max, or the 87g v-max, at a good average velocity...

let us know what you go for...

Snap.

My worry is just that I'm after a rifle for high velocity light loads, and the 5" or so that's missing from the Tikka's barrel Vs a Remington SPS will probably = somewhere in the region of 200-300fps, which is a lot really! I should think it'll work in terms of accuracy without a problem.

G day Mr logic!! i too am after a new 243 and was steering in the tikka direction as i have a a few before and better the devil you know! But i am thinking of the blaser? as its a very light and comfortable rifle to work with. Let me know how you get on. ss

if you wanted to push 55's fast you should have gone for the 22/250 after all :D

but if you can push 58 grain vmax fast then there isnt going to be much in it. which ever way its still going to be nice and flat. and more then you need for foxing at night ;)

22-250 would be fine. But when I knock over a deer with the 243, it's legal ;)

is it roe you mainly shoot mr l ? my cousin has just been given some permission for us thats 400 acres. and its teaming with roe and munjac :D well i can get munjac for my 22/250 i will have to get 243 for the roe. if its as full as we have been told then 243 is the only way.

what rounds do yuo guys use for roe in 243 ?

is it roe you mainly shoot mr l ? my cousin has just been given some permission for us thats 400 acres. and its teaming with roe and munjac :D well i can get munjac for my 22/250 i will have to get 243 for the roe. if its as full as we have been told then 243 is the only way.

i thought that 100g was a minimum for deer could be wrong.

i thought that 100g was a minimum for deer could be wrong.

It depends where you (England/Scotland) and which deer..

The 100gr stipulation is for deer larger than a roe in Scotland