Which 22 for rabbits?

Hi All,

having made a bad choice recently with a 22 sabbati, returned it, applied for my variation, got it.

now in the market for another open sighted rifle, problem is, i'm still fairly new, so need advice.

which rifle is best, the gun dealers i have been to say that thiers is the best, mainly CZ.

semi auto, single bolt?

£300 is about my limit.

i have a 17 for the long work, now need a 22 for shorter work.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Paul :whistling:

Hi All,

having made a bad choice recently with a 22 sabbati, returned it, applied for my variation, got it.

now in the market for another open sighted rifle, problem is, i'm still fairly new, so need advice.

which rifle is best, the gun dealers i have been to say that thiers is the best, mainly CZ.

semi auto, single bolt?

£300 is about my limit.

i have a 17 for the long work, now need a 22 for shorter work.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Paul :whistling:

Why open sights????

Fast target aquisition perhaps but plenty of short, wide telescopic sights, and this option will give you a MUCH bigger rifle choice......but as a brand you will not go far wrong with a CZ, an initially get a Bolt Action not a semi!

Personally, I think you won't go wrong with a 10/22 either, but the CZ is a very good tool, and there are so many around which still do a solid job after 30+ years of use, gotta say something!!

And I agree with Deker - for shooting bunnies, if you want fast target acquisition, get a 1.5-6 scope, much better than irons.

Personally, I think you won't go wrong with a 10/22 either, but the CZ is a very good tool, and there are so many around which still do a solid job after 30+ years of use, gotta say something!!

And I agree with Deker - for shooting bunnies, if you want fast target acquisition, get a 1.5-6 scope, much better than irons.

Many thanks for the replies,

as said earlier, i am new to this, so i do not understand short wide telescopic sights, 10/22 or 1.5-6.

seems mistakenly, i thought there was only one type of scope, long range.

i am ok on long shots, but now and then, a bunnie pops up around 50 yrds or so, by the time i have raised the rifle, focused the scope, he's gone!

also, i use my dog to flush out bunnies in hiding, very difficult to shoot with my present set up. before i get a lot of replies to this, my dog is trained to flush, and stay, not chase. so clear shot.

thanks again, i'm getting more advice here than i have from the dealers who want me to but thier goods!!

Paul

Many thanks for the replies,

as said earlier, i am new to this, so i do not understand short wide telescopic sights, 10/22 or 1.5-6.

seems mistakenly, i thought there was only one type of scope, long range.

i am ok on long shots, but now and then, a bunnie pops up around 50 yrds or so, by the time i have raised the rifle, focused the scope, he's gone!

also, i use my dog to flush out bunnies in hiding, very difficult to shoot with my present set up. before i get a lot of replies to this, my dog is trained to flush, and stay, not chase. so clear shot.

thanks again, i'm getting more advice here than i have from the dealers who want me to but thier goods!!

Paul

10/22 is the cheaper semi auto rimfire rifle from Ruger, not a scope.

Now you explain you are taking running shots at bunnies the open sight makes much more sense. Running shots with a backstop can still be safe, but when looking down a telescopoic sight your field of view would be reduced too far to be considered a safe practice. ;)

id still get something with a scope on it an id also consider getting a shotgun for running shots on bunnys,youve got a ticket for rimfires so a shotgun shouldnt be a problem ,or just invest your money in bullets for the 17 an use that for everything close range an long shots ,cheers stuart

Hi,

reason for open sighted is, that i used to shoot when i was much younger, open sighted, plus there is a public path close by, and looking through a sight does not give me confidence there is no one esle around, open sighted, i can look around follow the bunny, and take a cleasr shot.

i read somewhere that you only know when a gun is right, when you hold it? the dealers around here (Hertfordshire) stock 1 maybe 2 22's so, how would i know? how many do your dealers stock?

If your flushing rabbits have you thought about a .410 or similar, agreed it has to be bit closer than 50yrds but upto 35 i should think youd get a good chance of having a go. i used to do a fair bit of it and i loved it, should really dust off the old .410 and do some hegerow work again.

A rifle scope does NOT mean lots of magnification etc.

A 1.5-6 power scope means that you start with 1.5x mag, which is basically normal vision. You have 6 power if you do need a bit of magnification.

Get one with a reticle that has a dot rather than a cross as this aids fast target acquisition. Basically, you're looking at scopes which most people will use on a shotgun, but they should work quite well for you as well.

If your flushing rabbits have you thought about a .410 or similar, agreed it has to be bit closer than 50yrds but upto 35 i should think youd get a good chance of having a go. i used to do a fair bit of it and i loved it, should really dust off the old .410 and do some hegerow work again.

i'd agree with sterry, for rabbits on the run get a shotgun, maybe a 20 bore if you want a bit more range. ive got a 20 bore which i used to use for rabbit shooting before i got my FAC which proved very effective.

Another problem with a .22 is ricochet off the ground. Trying to hit a moving target with a single round is difficult and some would say potentially dangerous given the distances that theses weapons have for range. A shotgun is probably a more suited weapon for the type of shooting you have described. Like they say you wouldn't wear a pair of rugby boots to play table tennis. :hunter::);)

Another problem with a .22 is ricochet off the ground. Trying to hit a moving target with a single round is difficult and some would say potentially dangerous given the distances that theses weapons have for range. A shotgun is probably a more suited weapon for the type of shooting you have described. Like they say you wouldn't wear a pair of rugby boots to play table tennis. :hunter::);)

as i'm new to this, only had a license for 1 year, if i did go down the shotgun route, what would that entail? variation, mentor?

post-31167-1240133165.jpg