ferts

Average seems to be £50, no testicles, no need to scent mark.

short and to the point. cheers mate will look into it, but i hope as said the smell will reduce in a couple of weeks.

anyway the update: so busy playing with them in the garden i didnt take pictures

they are too big for rate holes (thier idea not mine)

my albino has learnt how to climb up the mesh and out of the hutch when the lids up :icon_redface:

i tried to seperate them into a two tier hutch (one up one down :whistling: ) but all hey did was try and scratch through to each other, then i figured one in the shed in the main hutch and one outside in the other hutch, but agian all they did was scratch.

so should i ignore the scratching and seperate them for the next few weeks, or keep them together as the albinos neck is healing??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore the scratching , as long as they cant get at each other if there really humping like mad

they arent that bad, i was only worried because the albinos neck was all marked up, but its healing now i just dont want them going brokeback on me

Ignore the scratching , as long as they cant get at each other if there really humping like mad

they arent that bad, i was only worried because the albinos neck was all marked up, but its healing now i just dont want them going brokeback on me

There scratching because there so nosey & want to know whats on the other side of the partition :laugh:

Don't give them dog food! Ferrets need a protein content in their food that's far higher than you'll get in proprietory pet foods. If you can't give them a flesh diet, then you can get a specially-formulated feed for ferrets...........the protein content needs to be around 35% (check the packaging!)

You're doing the right thing in handling them as much as possible, but I'd definately advise you have them castrated (not vasectomised) as soon as you can. This time of year (as pointed out already) they'll be stuffed full of hormones..............you've probably noticed their bellies are covered in pee? Get them neutered, & you'll find the smell reduces in around a fortnight, they'll be easier to handle, less inclined towards any dominance issues, & if you ever get a jill or two you won't need to worry about unwanted litters. Best advice I can give to any new ferret owner is to spend the money at the vets & get them neutered! Once you have more experience you can make up your own mind when it comes to how you deal with newcomers to your court

the humping is down to domanancy its nothing to do with sexuality and being gay , and try a little garlic in some dog food fleas and ticks hate garlic its worth a tr, i give mine garlic and i dont have a problem with fleas or ticks

good luck with them

Out of interest what do you give garlic wise powder or liquid , i was going to start to add it to the dogs food wasnt sure how much to give & which form of garlic to give , with the population of deer here i think its worth trying a preventitive as well as veterinary stuff if neded especially where ticks are concerned

Telling him to get them neutered fine if hes only going to keep the hobs but if he gets a jill or two he needs to think about bringing them out of season ,so that could mean another snipped hob . Away down the library and see if you can borrow a few books on ferrets and spend the summer reading up about them .

the humping is down to domanancy its nothing to do with sexuality and being gay , and try a little garlic in some dog food fleas and ticks hate garlic its worth a tr, i give mine garlic and i dont have a problem with fleas or ticks

good luck with them

Out of interest what do you give garlic wise powder or liquid , i was going to start to add it to the dogs food wasnt sure how much to give & which form of garlic to give , with the population of deer here i think its worth trying a preventitive as well as veterinary stuff if neded especially where ticks are concerned

hi kay i used to give the dogs garlic and jusrt carried it ovr to the ferrets. i use fresh garlic one clove for the ferrets and 2-3 for the dogs grind it up and add it to their food once a month. suppose you could use powder or liquid i prefer fresh you are getting fresh pure garlic then

good luck hope it helps

regards craig

Edited by coneycatcher
Don't give them dog food! Ferrets need a protein content in their food that's far higher than you'll get in proprietory pet foods. If you can't give them a flesh diet, then you can get a specially-formulated feed for ferrets...........the protein content needs to be around 35% (check the packaging!)

You're doing the right thing in handling them as much as possible, but I'd definately advise you have them castrated (not vasectomised) as soon as you can. This time of year (as pointed out already) they'll be stuffed full of hormones..............you've probably noticed their bellies are covered in pee? Get them neutered, & you'll find the smell reduces in around a fortnight, they'll be easier to handle, less inclined towards any dominance issues, & if you ever get a jill or two you won't need to worry about unwanted litters. Best advice I can give to any new ferret owner is to spend the money at the vets & get them neutered! Once you have more experience you can make up your own mind when it comes to how you deal with newcomers to your court

i agree dog food is highly inapropriate for ferrets as a regular feed i only suggested the dog food to mix in with the garlic for them to take it down any self respecting ferret would turn their nose up at just garlic served up to them for their supper lol

hi kay i used to give the dogs garlic and jusrt carried it ovr to the ferrets. i use fresh garlic one clove for the ferrets and 2-3 for the dogs grind it up and add it to their food once a month. suppose you could use powder or liquid i prefer fresh you are getting fresh pure garlic then

good luck hope it helps

regards craig

One clove of garlic in there water bowl is ample for dogs

This is the single most sensible thing I've read on this forum to date. Well said.

Telling him to get them neutered fine if hes only going to keep the hobs but if he gets a jill or two he needs to think about bringing them out of season ,so that could mean another snipped hob . Away down the library and see if you can borrow a few books on ferrets and spend the summer reading up about them .

True enough pal, but there's no suggestion that he's going to get any jills. If that does occur, then there are plenty of people with vasectomised hobs that can help. In 12 years of keeping ferrets, until last year, I've never had my own vasectomised hob, and it's never been a problem.

Definitely agree with what's been said about reading up, take in as much knowledge as you can from books, and don't be scared to ask questions on here. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people that post on these forums!