ferts

the humping is down to domanancy its nothing to do with sexuality and being gay , and try a little garlic in some dog food fleas and ticks hate garlic its worth a tr, i give mine garlic and i dont have a problem with fleas or ticks

good luck with them

Out of interest what do you give garlic wise powder or liquid , i was going to start to add it to the dogs food wasnt sure how much to give & which form of garlic to give , with the population of deer here i think its worth trying a preventitive as well as veterinary stuff if neded especially where ticks are concerned

hi kay i used to give the dogs garlic and jusrt carried it ovr to the ferrets. i use fresh garlic one clove for the ferrets and 2-3 for the dogs grind it up and add it to their food once a month. suppose you could use powder or liquid i prefer fresh you are getting fresh pure garlic then

good luck hope it helps

regards craig

Oh right i will do just that then once a month, thanks for the reply much appreciated :thumbs:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont intend to feed them dog food, i went out with a shotgun today and shot them two nice fresh pidgeon :) £100 is a lot of money but i shall start saving, them are fine with each other apart from when there is fresh meat around lol then the tug o war begins. lol can they eat carrion? cos there are loads of rooks about??

why do they need garlic, and how do i give them it?

thanks and i'll get down the library soon as possible

Edited by ellir0305

I'd be very loathe to feed them carrion unless you know exactly how old it is? Rooks would be fine for them, but I'd try & get them whole rabbit if you intend to feed them on flesh. They're what's known as obligate carnivores, which means their digestive system is entirely geared up towards whole prey (including bones, skin & fur) I'd also avoid feeding them crow, or any other carnivore!

If you can't guarantee them a regular fresh meat diet, then go for one of the complete feeds aimed at ferrets (as I said before...........minimum 35% protein). For two hobs you're looking at feeding it ad lib(their metabolism is on a 4-hour cycle, so they need a constant supply to feed when they feel like it) A 10kg bag will set you back around £15-£20 & will easily do them a month. Make sure they can't tip their bowl over & ensure they have fresh water daily.

They don't 'need' garlic, as such, but some people find it keeps fleas & ticks at bay as the compounds in fresh garlic enter the ferts bloodstream, making it unpleasant for parasites that feed on them

I'd be very loathe to feed them carrion unless you know exactly how old it is? Rooks would be fine for them, but I'd try & get them whole rabbit if you intend to feed them on flesh. They're what's known as obligate carnivores, which means their digestive system is entirely geared up towards whole prey (including bones, skin & fur) I'd also avoid feeding them crow, or any other carnivore!

If you can't guarantee them a regular fresh meat diet, then go for one of the complete feeds aimed at ferrets (as I said before...........minimum 35% protein). For two hobs you're looking at feeding it ad lib(their metabolism is on a 4-hour cycle, so they need a constant supply to feed when they feel like it) A 10kg bag will set you back around £15-£20 & will easily do them a month. Make sure they can't tip their bowl over & ensure they have fresh water daily.

They don't 'need' garlic, as such, but some people find it keeps fleas & ticks at bay as the compounds in fresh garlic enter the ferts bloodstream, making it unpleasant for parasites that feed on them

well something needs to be done, they have fleas, and lots of them i hjad them all up me arms but have scalded myself in the sower and scrubbed down. i dont have spray frontline yet and cant get it till tuesday at the earliest, but i do have the spot on stuff for cats. is there anyways a can dilute it down and dunk them sheep dip style or sometghing because my mums going mental lol plus i dont like flea bites myself

For gods sake don't use the full-strength stuff for adult cats. It'll make them very ill at best, & kill them at worst! If they're really that bad, get some of the Bob Martin flea shampoo & give them a bath with a mere capful in about a gallon of warm water? That'll ease the problem until you can get some advice from your vet. Be aware that there are no flea treatments licensed for ferrets in the UK? So anything you use should only be on the advice of your vet. And make sure he or she has at least the faintest idea about ferrets?..............pedantic maybe, but if you care about your ferts you shouldn't be worrying too much about spending a few quid on looking after them properly.

For gods sake don't use the full-strength stuff for adult cats. It'll make them very ill at best, & kill them at worst! If they're really that bad, get some of the Bob Martin flea shampoo & give them a bath with a mere capful in about a gallon of warm water? That'll ease the problem until you can get some advice from your vet. Be aware that there are no flea treatments licensed for ferrets in the UK? So anything you use should only be on the advice of your vet. And make sure he or she has at least the faintest idea about ferrets?..............pedantic maybe, but if you care about your ferts you shouldn't be worrying too much about spending a few quid on looking after them properly.

i just want to get rid of the fleas asap so i can handle them again cos im being bitten all over by fleas when i do, how do i administer fresh garlic, and if i just let them have a full bowl of food constantly wont they just get fat?

i just want to get rid of the fleas asap so i can handle them again cos im being bitten all over by fleas when i do, how do i administer fresh garlic, and if i just let them have a full bowl of food constantly wont they just get fat?

i am nipping to the vets tomorrow on the way past to pick up the flea spray, so what exactly should i ask for?? and i am still interested in the garlic idea in addition to this but need the exact details before i start try to convince the ferrets garlic is good for them

Frontline spray is what you need , used it on ferrets for donkeys years with no adverse reactions

thanks kay. the word of wisdom as ever :thumbs:

I wouldnt use anything that i thought would harm them , thats why i have never used the spot on on a ferret , its got more of the fipronil in it per dose than the spray

Frontline spray is what you need , used it on ferrets for donkeys years with no adverse reactions

I wouldnt use anything that i thought would harm them , thats why i have never used the spot on on a ferret , its got more of the fipronil in it per dose than the spray

it was desperation speaking i thought i could dilute it but best leave that to the pros how much should a bottle of that set me back?

it was desperation speaking i thought i could dilute it but best leave that to the pros how much should a bottle of that set me back?

20 odd quid for a small one , thing is with the spray you can use it on cats dogs ferrets you have to get a dog one & cat one if you use the spot on & the cost is a lot more , so for me having dogs & a ferret its better i get the spray

I wouldnt use the spot on for ferrets anyway , but i can only speak as i find & i have not had a problem with the spray

one clove of garlic crushed into either a mashed up sausage, bits of bacon or a small bit of dog food mix it in and the ferrets dont even know the garlic is there one every month or two depending on how bad they get the fleas cant help you on the frontline doseage as i dont use it the garlic works a treat for me