The head of a Border Terrier

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose its like saying the boxer with the bigger muscles has the harder punch, when that isn't always the case.

Jaw strength, good teeth, the natural instinct and want to just hold on until it needs to be pried open and pulled away from its quarry, is probably more important than the size of the dogs head?

But I'm no expert so, maybe?

boxing is the art of hitting without being hit. a boxer doesnt put every effort into every punch thrown, instead choosing when to turn on the power. Anyway, a lot of a boxers punch power comes from the speed of delivery combined with the strength/weight behind it rather than just size alone.

this analogy of a boxer doesnt transfer well to terriers...

there are two sayings which spring to mind ''its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog'' and a contradictory ''a good big un will always beat a good little un''

IMO its down to the skill and experience of the dog and these come about because of breeding and because of opportunity (to work) and entering.

finding books on just borders is pretty rare,joselyn lucas hunt and working terriers covers a fair bit, and ann roslyn willams, the border terrier, at the turn of the 1ww they were getting a bit scarce and not many were registered, and yes they were originally bred to hunt and run with hounds, otter and fox, me personally i find them different to any other terrier i have owned, they take abit longer to mature, but when they come on they come on wholesale,but then that maybe a good thing ,giving themselves time to mature, i dont profess to be an expert on any subject, but if you know your dog you know its capabilitys, where old red is concerned he will give no quarter and so should he get no quarter, i fail to see what sheltis have to with borders, only the fact that it once was a working breed now fekd up by the k.c.

that anna roslyn williams book is ok and it should of told you they were called the roxby terrier.ive worked borders for nearly 30yrs til i had to get rid because of a split and i dont think they are slow to come on all mine have grafted at 1yr old to ground but they are a good terrier if anything they are to hard,mine were laid up more than they worked.another good man who had them was geff feloronie from wales and his was hard dogs to but for me a border any time

i think its a pity, there not any other decent books on the little fellas, but i suppose it would only run over old ground and become just another terrier book, im hoping my bitch is in pup, (dont tell mrs desert) and i will keep one, how i got swayed with them , my old mate waddy wadsworth kept them in his day he had the courtney tracy otterhounds, and they were spot on and the pack of hounds i was with had a dog, he was forever disapearing and coming back bashed, they have a good temperament till upset, idont think ive ever met one with a bad one.

i agree its in the dogs makeup to bite hard. its a fact that even within certain breeds there are lines that bite down harder than others. even though the head size is no different. its a fact hower that if you shorten the muzzle length you weaken the bite power. having said that some borders do have a powerfull bite. :)

My Border, without the otter like head..

are you 100% certain hes a pure border mate is he a pedigree or just worker to worker? just a query as border x lakelands are a good and not rare cross do you think he could have some lakeland in his make up? like i said just a query.

Your the second person to ask that. The bloke i got her from swears that she is pure, but i have not seen any other that look like her. She has no papers so im not a 100% myself! Its funny how a few people have said she looks a bit lakey. Anyway shes turning out good so im not bothered about breed! Cheers mate

The shape of the head is that of a Border Terrier, the breed description. It asks for a broad skull and a short strong muzzle. They also should have good underjaws, deep. All pedigree dogs have their "parts" described, like Labs have "Otter" tails etc...

This is my dog taken a couple days ago. Before anyone comes out with the snide remarks, no he hasnt been to ground, only been ratting, Squirreling, bushing and tracking injured Deer, all perfectly adequate for me thanks.

oreymarch091p.jpg