The head of a Border Terrier

Hi,

I would like to know why does the head of the Border Terrier looks this otter-alike? What is this shape good for and where does it come from? What breeds were introduced to get this shape?

Thanks,

Anna

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pikey
strength in the head gives them good jaw power, and there bred with good heads because they were meant to kill there fox if they wouldnt bolt when hounds had run them to ground in awkward spots

good size head has nothing got to do with jaw power, if that was the way if two pit bulls were fighting back in the 60s all the old timers would have there money on the dog with the big head ??? a dog bites with power because he wants to !!!!!!!!!!! simple as that !!!!!!!!

strength in the head gives them good jaw power, and there bred with good heads because they were meant to kill there fox if they wouldnt bolt when hounds had run them to ground in awkward spots

good size head has nothing got to do with jaw power, if that was the way if two pit bulls were fighting back in the 60s all the old timers would have there money on the dog with the big head ??? a dog bites with power because he wants to !!!!!!!!!!! simple as that !!!!!!!!

i agree in parts, but to say its got nothing to do with it is rubbish

Guest ragumup

i agree in parts, but to say its got nothing to do with it is rubbish

head size has everything to do with the power of its jaws whether it want to or not is down

to the dog/breeding,

well id say the size of the terriers head will determine how much punisment it will dish out and and take, you dont want a snipey fellow with a small head, down in the earth, the dog has to and has do a job quick, and that is why, pits do a different job in artificial envoiroments they have more room to move, an earthdog has limited space and is bred to kill, pits aint earthdogs terriers they might be, there is no comparison, i keep borders myself,the bitch is smaller and will take more injury than the dog, because she is smaller it does not mean she has any less heart, but she will come off worse than the dog, he is larger and stronger and will get to his quarry faster and deal with quicker, and has a big head and more power in the jaw.

I think you will find that the otter head is a show breeders criteria and if you look at old photos of borders they certainly dont have the very short muzzle of a current type. Does anyone who works borders to fox prefer a short muzzle or would you prefer a longer muzzle? Interestig link go2ground would not want to be there without the body armour!

Cheers

so what your saying is if the dog dont feel like biting hard on his opponent then he wont, albiet that charlie is fighting for his life,that is the biggest load of bull ive read, through years of selective breeding terriers for earth work have been bred to kill in awkward spots, thats what they do, so if you have a dog that is going to fanny about thinking about it, whats the fekkin point of having it, a boxer goes in the ring to WIN, sort it out aterrier goe to ground to kill, and yes to answer an earlier question about short muzzles it can be a problem, the kennel club got involved, but forutnately there are people out there who breed the right stuff, a dog that was half hearted about his job and did,nt make the grade would, nt be kept or bred from, and a boxer would get k.o, everytime.

got to agree with you there, the eyes can be damaged that is afault, not sure about the leveridge on the jaw, mine tend to latch and stay there till the job is done, even the bitch and she is short in the muzzle, the dog is a different kettle, i try to breed the right way, not for show, to work, more than likely years ago they had lakeland in hence the longer muzzle, but i suspect through the k,c, its been bred out and they have gone typey and bred to their standards, ive dumped the k,c, myself, sure enough they put the price of pups up, but has the breed improved by this ?, i know we in this country are a bit limited to what quarry we hunt, but is there any need to breed shite.