Italian Greyhound

Hi

My mother has bred Italian Greyhounds for over 30 years...if you what you really want is a working dog, I wouldn't recommend it. If you want a pet, who you can take out for a run, and they might catch rabbit - go for it. I have witnessed IG's catch (and kill) a rabbit as big as they are...leaping up in the air out of the grass to keep it in sight....they were so proud, and didnt understand why I was laughing at them. Mum's dogs enjoy lure coursing, and they are fast.

If anyone is considering getting an IG for any reason..especially if you are going to do anything more strenuous with it than sit on the couch, make sure the breeder acknowledges that bad bone and broken legs are heridatry. An IG with good bone will only break its leg in extreme circumstances, like any other sighthound. Some breeders who refuse to acknowledge that it is a genetic problem, breed from lines known for broken legs, and have up to 30% of their pups break their legs...some of these heal and some of them dont...either way a painful and expensive exercise for the owner and the dog.

Oh and about house training...think you would have to be mad to litter train...but even the best house trained one is likely to go on the doorstep if it is raining outside...my personal opinion is if you want a hunting dog, who is super decorative on the couch...nothing is better than a Saluki!

Cheers

Guest little lurcher
Hi

My mother has bred Italian Greyhounds for over 30 years...if you what you really want is a working dog, I wouldn't recommend it. If you want a pet, who you can take out for a run, and they might catch rabbit - go for it. I have witnessed IG's catch (and kill) a rabbit as big as they are...leaping up in the air out of the grass to keep it in sight....they were so proud, and didnt understand why I was laughing at them. Mum's dogs enjoy lure coursing, and they are fast.

If anyone is considering getting an IG for any reason..especially if you are going to do anything more strenuous with it than sit on the couch, make sure the breeder acknowledges that bad bone and broken legs are heridatry. An IG with good bone will only break its leg in extreme circumstances, like any other sighthound. Some breeders who refuse to acknowledge that it is a genetic problem, breed from lines known for broken legs, and have up to 30% of their pups break their legs...some of these heal and some of them dont...either way a painful and expensive exercise for the owner and the dog.

Oh and about house training...think you would have to be mad to litter train...but even the best house trained one is likely to go on the doorstep if it is raining outside...my personal opinion is if you want a hunting dog, who is super decorative on the couch...nothing is better than a Saluki!

Cheers

i just wish more breeders would be as honest , thank you , many dogs would be spared the agony of fractures if just 1 told the truth!!! also the poor mouths we have in the breed is a worry too !!! also with the current trend of cross breeding them for the pet market heaven knows what will happen