Italian Greyhound

I live in quite a very small house with little garden and have always wanted a lurcher, But unfortunately just dont have the room, I have been reading about Italian greyhounds and that they can be used for working, Has anyone seen or heard of them working? They look very tiny to even take a rabbit! Good looking little dogs though

Cheers

Edited by Pembshunter

Guest ferret feller

get a whippet mabey mate? iv heard little lurcher has an italian grey there good dogs liek a mini whippet on speed she said :laugh: shes got a brill ferreter 3/4 WHIPPET 1/4 ITALIAN GREY

whippet cross collie are pretty tiny

If ya looking for a show dog mate, then ya go for one, we were at dublin show today. and one took best of breed, hound group and third best in show, biggest ikc show of year.the little thing showed its arse off... but they tiny, tiny dogs, we were at ring side dicussing what they could be used for no way in hell one could catch a rabbit never mind be able to carry one, the rabbit prob twice as heavy, so we taught maybe bushing, but their skin so thin, they be torn to sheards by torns, they all had knitted jumpers on while waiting to go into ring, cause they shivering all over and the sun was shining all day. All that aside they they do look very smart like tiny whippets....im no expert on the breed but could only c one as a lap dog/show dog...but like i said i could b wrong and only going on what ive seen..

I live in quite a very small house with little garden and have always wanted a lurcher, But unfortunately just dont have the room, I have been reading about Italian greyhounds and that they can be used for working, Has anyone seen or heard of them working? They look very tiny to even take a rabbit! Good looking little dogs though

Cheers

whippet cross collie are pretty tiny

If ya looking for a show dog mate, then ya go for one, we were at dublin show today. and one took best of breed, hound group and third best in show, biggest ikc show of year.the little thing showed its arse off... but they tiny, tiny dogs, we were at ring side dicussing what they could be used for no way in hell one could catch a rabbit never mind be able to carry one, the rabbit prob twice as heavy, so we taught maybe bushing, but their skin so thin, they be torn to sheards by torns, they all had knitted jumpers on while waiting to go into ring, cause they shivering all over and the sun was shining all day. All that aside they they do look very smart like tiny whippets....im no expert on the breed but could only c one as a lap dog/show dog...but like i said i could b wrong and only going on what ive seen..

just read up on them their, they can run up to 25 miles per hour, but if not very carefull can end up with up with a broken neck.....they are never to b a outside dog, and breediers remcomend that u litter train them like a cat as they dont like going outside even for a pee :wallbash: :wallbash:Not recomended for a house with young kids as broken bones very common... suppose if ya went for a working breed rather than show standard they might not b as fragile....goood luck mate though what ever u decide..

My sister has one,it is keen as mustard,had a few rats and young rabbits around the stables.However it is ,in my opinion,too small a nd lightly built for any type of serious work.it is tiny with legs like bone china,an accident waiting to happen at the speed it is capable of i would say.I did find an american site where they reccomended insurance to cover broken legs.

Guest little lurcher

i have 5 here , 1 a cross i work to an excellent standard , however the breed today IS NOT SUITABLE for working imo , too many think they know best and all it results in is fractures and huge vet bills , they are the oldest sighthound breed in the world and when i first got mine the old boy who bred him worked all his on rabbits and only 1 broken leg so not to say it cant be done but not recommended tbh , its sad as many italian owners catch rabbits reg out on walks , i do think its the way they are kept and bred as well ? mine lived outside in heated kennels as do my lurchers and whippets , tey now live in the house as i have a few shows coming up and dont want to be bathing every five mins lol , i havent found them hard to housetrain , not as easy as a lurcher or whippet but its down to you to continue the repeatative exercise of toiet training ? here in uk they are in the toy group , in ireland and the continent they are rightly in the hound group , THEY ARE SIGHTHOUNDS!!! abroad they lure course them , mine also train behind the lure regularly , mine also have high prey drive , but not all do ?

yappy , challenging , naughty , disobedient , gobby, defient , annoying , constant attention seekers , but bloody hell they are fun and fab little little dogs!!! lol

this is blue my first italian , in showing mode

HPIM0126.jpg

this is him waiting his turn to lure course

blueattinas.jpg

then i got eddie , very glam lad , sired by a swedish import

23062007015.jpg

they will fly if allowed !!! tippy running with her mother , she was result of italian dog going over 2 6 ft fences to get to the bitch

TipnMay.jpg

08082007248.jpg

tis is the same cross bred you saw earlier this time with her dad , you will see she only made the height of her dad

Iggies.jpg

and here she is first day ever ferreting , so yes it can be done but not recommended

05092007416.jpg

Dont just look at the size of a particular breed, consider the characteristics too. Some bigger dogs are a lot calmer and appear to take up less space as long as they get their daily walks.

A terrier is only small compared to a greyhound but will just seem to be all over the house wheras the greyhound will be content on a blanket in a quiet corner.

Dont automatically look to the smaller whippet crosses if you want to work it as I dont think they will offer any real advantage over the greyhound crosses. Yep, I know, loads of people have whippet crosses and they are superdogs.

Stick to a greyhound cross, a first cross beddy grey will come out around 23/24, will be calm at home and will do all you ask of it. So will a collie cross but I think they are a bit more active around the house.

Dont want another row about whippets either thanks, was just offering another opinion. ;)

i have 5 here , 1 a cross i work to an excellent standard , however the breed today IS NOT SUITABLE for working imo , too many think they know best and all it results in is fractures and huge vet bills , they are the oldest sighthound breed in the world and when i first got mine the old boy who bred him worked all his on rabbits and only 1 broken leg so not to say it cant be done but not recommended tbh , its sad as many italian owners catch rabbits reg out on walks , i do think its the way they are kept and bred as well ? mine lived outside in heated kennels as do my lurchers and whippets , tey now live in the house as i have a few shows coming up and dont want to be bathing every five mins lol , i havent found them hard to housetrain , not as easy as a lurcher or whippet but its down to you to continue the repeatative exercise of toiet training ? here in uk they are in the toy group , in ireland and the continent they are rightly in the hound group , THEY ARE SIGHTHOUNDS!!! abroad they lure course them , mine also train behind the lure regularly , mine also have high prey drive , but not all do ?

yappy , challenging , naughty , disobedient , gobby, defient , annoying , constant attention seekers , but bloody hell they are fun and fab little little dogs!!! lol

HPIM0126.jpg

this is him waiting his turn to lure course

blueattinas.jpg

then i got eddie , very glam lad , sired by a swedish import

23062007015.jpg

they will fly if allowed !!! tippy running with her mother , she was result of italian dog going over 2 6 ft fences to get to the bitch

TipnMay.jpg

08082007248.jpg

tis is the same cross bred you saw earlier this time with her dad , you will see she only made the height of her dad

Iggies.jpg

and here she is first day ever ferreting , so yes it can be done but not recommended

05092007416.jpg

Really great pictures, your dog Eddie is really stunning, love his colour. There not many shown over here so ive only seen a handfull, but must say yours a credit to u, they not as frigale as what ive seen but maybe the ones ive seen are younger or bitches. the one that won yesterday showed so well and glided around ring and did deserve to win, it was so small but held his own...i would just be afraid it would snap but then looks can be deceptive i suppose, yours seem stronger and the colours are striking..anyways good luck with them and hope u do well at your upcoming shows...

HPIM0126.jpg

VERY nice........and the dog is a beaut too,lol :icon_redface:dont think theyd handel the rough and tumble of everyday rabbiting.They do look very well though,pleasing to the eye .

Edited by jigsaw