Out on the quad last night around a place that draws foxes for miles .As we unloaded the quad ,we could hear a vixen screaming not too far away .This is late in the season for it really but theres always something to surprise you .

In the first field there was nothing but hares which we leave here but sure enough in the next field there was a dog and a vixen ,surprising how fast he had come running for his leg over .They were that close ,they appeared as one animal .At about 150 yards away i wasnt phased and set the .222's bipod up for a prone shot.The dog fell on the spot with the vixen running only a few yards to a hedge .I could only see her ears from my position so a swift move was in order to higher ground .Got to a spot and yes ,good vision .Shot her too .Very pleased to have the pair as theres cubs born here every year just ver the boundary with the vixen making raids in daylight to satisfy the cubs .Its better to get a pair now than when shes suckling i think .

foxshooting.jpg

Excellent result mate, and good shooting. But I have a predicament, the farmer whose 385 acres I have the shooting/pest control over with my son and mate, wants us to be around right through lambing, he has 500+ ewes to lamb, and kill as many foxes as we can. So, we have to shoot right through to keep him sweet as it were. What do you think! I dont think we have a choice......

wish i was old enough for a rifle i would be out everynight

Dont worry mate, I wish I was your age, you got all those years ahead of you. Enjoy them, the whole shooting/hunting/stalking/beating/dogs/fishing things is the best. You will meet the best people you could ever wish to meet....Good luck! ;)

Good shooting Lads :thumbs: A fine pair :D

Dartmoorman, this predicament comes up every year when it comes to your conscience of shooting Foxes at this time of year, but there is a distinction that has to be made.

The difference between casual shooting to trim the numbers and the need for control. And I'm afraid when Lambing time comes, control wins.

Keep your permission safe and help him out at his busiest time of year, it may pay dividends when he mentions it to his other farming friends :thumbs:

wish i was old enough for a rifle i would be out everynight

Dont worry mate, I wish I was your age, you got all those years ahead of you. Enjoy them, the whole shooting/hunting/stalking/beating/dogs/fishing things is the best. You will meet the best people you could ever wish to meet....Good luck! ;)

cheers dartmoorman

Excellent result mate, and good shooting. But I have a predicament, the farmer whose 385 acres I have the shooting/pest control over with my son and mate, wants us to be around right through lambing, he has 500+ ewes to lamb, and kill as many foxes as we can. So, we have to shoot right through to keep him sweet as it were. What do you think! I dont think we have a choice......

No predicament at all and no need to prick your concience...lambing and fox control go hand in hand, the farmer wants/needs it..job to be done!! Nothing to feel guilty about! :thumbs:

Nice one 'FD' hope to be able to gety out next week on the lamp,and,u along the valley there has been quite a few Roe about in the afternoon(about 1700hrs)that need thinning out a little before the end of the season.A few Bucks showing as well now................martin.