Live mouse traps

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo

Hi lads I have a pet cornsnake that hasnt eaten in two months. he wont except frozen mice anymore and I think he needs a kill so i want to have a go trapping a mouse. have you any Ideas on a D.I.Y live mouse trap?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Countryboyo

Ive tried the shaking and heating the mouse ive tried everything at this stage. Ive ordered 5 live mice from the petshop for next week (they wouldnt sell me a single for some reason) but I said if I catch a wild in the meantime Il try it out for the crack. so any advice on traps?

Its alegal to start with mate,

No, it isn't. The rest of your post makes a good point, however. How big is this Corn and what are his temps? We're just coming out of winter, he could just have decided to go off feed for the jiggy season - especially if temps are a little on the low side. Are mice big enough for him now? Tried medium rats? Is he coming into ecdysis (shedding)? A good feeding Corn will usually continue to be just that, unless there's a good reason. Stay away from the wild rodents, they'll give it all sorts of nasties :cry:

If it doesn't eat offering #1, wait a week and try again. Don't handle it until it's feeding again, and keep external fuss and disturbance to a minimum. Make sure there are at least two hides in the viv, one at each end of the thermal gradient. Good luck.

Its alegal to start with mate,

No, it isn't. The rest of your post makes a good point, however. How big is this Corn and what are his temps? We're just coming out of winter, he could just have decided to go off feed for the jiggy season - especially if temps are a little on the low side. Are mice big enough for him now? Tried medium rats? Is he coming into ecdysis (shedding)? A good feeding Corn will usually continue to be just that, unless there's a good reason. Stay away from the wild rodents, they'll give it all sorts of nasties :cry:

If it doesn't eat offering #1, wait a week and try again. Don't handle it until it's feeding again, and keep external fuss and disturbance to a minimum. Make sure there are at least two hides in the viv, one at each end of the thermal gradient. Good luck.

FORGET IT...

Edited by tiny 7
Guest Countryboyo

He shed three weeks ago and hes been really active since. Ive tried him on every size mouse in the last few months from pinkies to large adult mice. He has me demented. he is three years old and about four foot. I think he needs a kill lads hes showing no interest at all in his grub. He might be a bit like a greyhound thats not chasing right, he needs a good hunt and a "sqeeze" to get him going again. I built a trap earlier I cut a large coke bottle and turned the spout part upsidedown in the lower part of the bottle to create a funnell so when the mouse goes in he cant come out. I then cut a hole in a box so the entrance to the funnell will be in the centre of the top of the box. I put a ramp onto the box and a small bit of bait at the entrance to the funnell and loads at the bottom of the bottle. hopefully he will slip in while searching for the food and then Il be able to get the show on the road.

Hi lads I have a pet cornsnake that hasnt eaten in two months. he wont except frozen mice anymore and I think he needs a kill so i want to have a go trapping a mouse. have you any Ideas on a D.I.Y live mouse trap?

YES USE GLASS MILK BOTTLE BURIED AT 45 DEGREES OR PROPPED UP ON A BRICK

USE PASTURISED BOTTLE (HARD TO FIND BUT ARE ABOUT STILL)

JUST PUT SMALL AMOUNT OF BAIT INSIDE AND AWAY YOU GO

LYNDON

the only thing i know that will work and is legal is a fresh killed mouse they take no killing a flick at the back of the head and ther dead then drop it in while still moveing on the nerves my mats corn is the same and he started eating again useing this methord what ever you do do not use wild mice ther not dosile like pet ones for one and puting in alive they can damidge your snake with a bite or scratch and then that get infected and will cost you money or the snake its life be a responsable pet owner thing of the welfare of your pet and its food respect every thing

Sorry, I can't speak for feeding captured wild mice (though as they're vermin and have to be killed once caught?...). But last time I checked (pre Animal Welfare Act) feeding normal mice live to a reptile is not illegal in the UK unless you cause un-necessary suffering in the process, and/or allow an audience (especially a paying one), in which case it would constitute baiting.

In fact, in the case of a wild caught python (for example) that refuses all but live food, it could be deemed an offence to NOT offer live prey (causing suffering by failing to provide an adequate source of food resulting in starvation). We had all this from the antis in the 80s and 90s, and it was the same back then. No offence unless causing un-necessary suffering and/or allowing an audience.

OH MY GOD here we go again with the legality. A f***ing mouse like! City people crack me up!

WRONG!

1. This is an internet forum to discuss issues, including legalities
  2. It may only be a mouse we are talking about, but that is irrelavant
  3. City people? You couldn't be more wrong. Country born & bred, and never lived in any city....

Sorry, I can't speak for feeding captured wild mice (though as they're vermin and have to be killed once caught?...).

There is no law to say that mice have to be killed once caught.

You are getting confused with 'alien' species like grey squirrels and mink. They DO have to be killed once caught.