Talking of Moderators.....

I'ts been done before, but I'm looking for the perfect mod for .243 (probably mounted on a Tikka or Sako)

The mod would need to be....(ideally)

Over barrel, to keep the length down,

Strippable (but would forgo this for excellent noise reduction)

As quiet as possible.

Has anyone any genuine experience of comparisons between different makes of mod?

I have searched this subject, and there seem to be a few conflicting views.

Edited by Fidgety

I've only got one recommendation thats the A-tec i've seen it in action and can say its good to the extent that i've ordered one....

the t8 is the only other i've had and it didn't last long, :wallbash: and was reasonably well looked after .....

my 2p worth,

snap.

Wildcat P8 Compact.

Good sound reduction, relatively light, over-barrel so you don't get too much more length.

I think ASE or A-tec beat them for noise reduction but Wildcat mods are cheaper than either. When buying, remember that there are "Good Dealer Margins" on these, so negotiate hard!

For stripability you cannot beat the Wildcat Predator range. Price is reasonable in an area of outrageously high margins, but there are without doubt better mods for sound reduction, although I find the Predators acceptable!

Take it any time over the T8, and remember the Compact Predator 8, just as good as the full length up to .243 but smaller and lighter!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I have a T8 on my Sako .243 which cuts the noise down very well. Has been said here they don't last long which is true. I tried a Jet Z compact on my rifle and this was better. It made the rifle more balenced and was quieter than the T8. Main problem is it's not cheap but I think worth it. I'm saving up to buy one to replace the T8.

Cheers

Fastrac10

I have a Wildcat Predator 8 on my .270 Win, I should say that it is my first centrefire moderator, but I have experienced most of the 'cooking' varieties on friends rifles (i.e. Ase-utra, T8 etc etc)

Mine is very good, the .270 is a hot round, loud and powerful, (the 'Metalica' of rifle cartridges), having owned this rifle for 3 years before fitting the 'Moddy I know the difference, mine had a BOSS muzzle brake and was seriously ear breaking in that configuration.

It's the cartridge that makes the difference though, my buddy's .243 is tamed (by a T8) to the extent that its like a .22 rimfire on HV shells, mine is 'helped' down to a similar report to a 12G shotgun at point blank.

I have the Wildcat 17 Whisper on my 17HMR, it is OK, but not brilliant, however the 'SAK' on my .22 SAKO Finnfire Varmint is probably the best 'cheapo' solution in my gun cabinet, virtually silent with Winchester Sub's, I have several other 'old' silencers in the back room, a 1980's Viamme rimfire is excellent, 10" long, but 'very' quiet, pity I blasted the guts out of it with the early 17HMR experiments??

What is your feedback on the above? I would like to know?

What do you reckon on the 17HMR, great range / killing but what about the wind drift?

Great input chaps! Thanks for that.

Having had a look about, and budget wise, its probably going to be Tikka Hunter and P8 compact.

What's the balance going to be like on that?

I got the new T3 Hunter .243 in August last year, one of the first of the shorter, threaded barrels, it has a P8 Compact on the end...balance is good, no problems at all...MUCH better than the T3 Lite!!! :thumbs:

Deker, how long is the barrel on yours? Does the shortening affect range or consistency in any way?

Simple fact is I don't know...BUT measured from where the barrel comes out of the block it is 19inches exactly..so a little bit more than that!!

This is the length now being supplied from Tikka with the latest screw cut versions.

With regards performance I have nothing to compare it with..it's a hunting tool and works, although it didn't have any problem getting me V Bulls at Bisley on 500 yards with cheap PRVI ammo...and it wasn't just me...my boy did the same trick with it. I spoke with GMK before I got it though and asked about performance, they admitted that depending what ammo you used then you could expect to lose around 200ft sec compared to the the full length barrel!!

I'm easy with it...does everything I want!!...Actually, no I'm not ...I'm happy with it, it's a much better package than my T3 Lite which has cost me a fortune trying to make it useable with a mod...last try ..The Lite is now in for a barrel chop!! :thumbs: And if that doesn't work it may well hit file X!!! :hmm:

it varies from rifle to rifle powder charges and so on but reducing barrell lenth roughly equates to between 10 to25 fps per ins reduction in barrel length

it can be worked out bit to complicated for me who cares if it shoots straight and youcan hit the target its a goodin ;)