we never had locaters when i was a lad, it was all by ear and the bar was a regular used tool for the job, there was never a problem getting to quarry, it just took a bit longer but then the old fellas loved it, and planned it well,you cant beat a good bar, i still use one even when im rabbiting, and i do use a locator and i still get told by the old fellas, you dont need them boy, just a true dog , your ears and a bar.,

I have used 15mm high tensile steel for years now without bending it. The wider the diameter you use the harder it is to push down to find burrows. I have found around 3 foot is plenty long unless your dog is aground in a swamp or you brought a sledgehammer with you to beat down 4 foot, at over 3 foot normal soil has such a grip on the bar you wont know whether you hit a burrow or not.

EDZY is right never put a point on your bar. With practise you will learn to feel the quarry in the burrow with your bar, rock it back and forth and sideways as you near breakthrough then gently lower it onto the quarrys back and let the bar go you will see it move.

I am trying to conceal my bar inside a wooden hunting stick perhaps drilling out stick and threading a wooden handle to the top, then with a folding camp shovel in the rucksack i should look like an innocent rabbiter if i wander onto some iffy farmers land. My only problem is the marks of work on my border dog, most of them are covered by a borders hairy face but if he looks up i am f--ked as he was chinned by two accidental meetings with the stripe. Some people say a good border is a bad one as they are too hard but with all those showdog/lapdog borders out there i wouldnt have him any other way.

Bye for now TerrierS KEEP ON DIGGIN AND DONT LET THE b*****ds STOP YOU FROM ENJOYING YOUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRYSIDE

Mr Burrowman,

I am not here to attack you or tell you anything, purely to offer my opinon to you.

1. Having read The Irish Times only ten days ago your mad to mention stripes.

2. You do not need to hide your gear, for two reaons one digging foxes is not illegal and if you had permission off farmer you do not need to sneak around.

3. This is a great forum to keep up with others sport, offer advice, and look for advice. However there are people on it that do not know the game and pretend to, there are also others who do. and always there are the knockers. But you just have to be carefull what you write.

I hope you realise this is just my opinion been OFFERED to you. But please do not mention Stripes on here.

From a fellow Irish Diggin man

Johnny

Edited by Johnny85

Hi Terrier S

get yourself a couple of road pins (fence pins) cut off the U bend at the top on one of the pins then cut about 18" off the other for the cross bar and have it welded up

you can get 5/8" or 16 mm or get both

keep your eyes open and your will find them laying beside the road

if you know someone with a arc welder you will get the job done for the price of a beer

used my ones for years and ain't bent them yet