which 223

Im considering getting a 223 for lamping foxes,what make would you lads recommend for the job,i had a tikka inmind or maybe a cz,something that gives good tight groups,another possibility is a 243 using some of the lighter loads what are your veiws on this and which of the two calibers would you say is better suited for the job?

Steady on smasher...lots to think about here...

.223..lots of good ones about, in the reasonable price/quality and shoots straight range Tikka, CZ or Remington.   LOADS of ammo choice and much of it cheaper than .243.With the right setup and ammo you can deal with foxes at 400 yards with these tools...although very few people need to!   Down side is you are limited on the deer front!

.243 is very capable on the fox...but lets get real in suggesting not everyone shoots foxes at 400 yards in the middle of massive estates...lots of fox are dealt with at 50-100 yards on small estates...so, is a .243 maybe a bit much, a .223 would maybe better here.   On the plus side the .243 is legal for all deer in the UK!!

I'd say a little more to consider by way of land and future proofing!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

You don't say how far away these foxes are. 223 is good to 300 yards easy, muntjac deer too. I have a CZ 527 and Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I find the SPS too hard to carry about with me, hence the CZ.

CZ works a charm, shoots .5 - .75 inch groups with a load of 25.4gr AA2460, 50gr V-max. 3 rabbits and a fox this evening found out the hard way that it works! I really would recommend it - I have the cheap one with the plastic stock, but it's excellent in every way. Well made, lightweight, accurate. Good value for money, you won't go wrong there.

Tikka is also good if you can find one cheap, at normal prices they are too much money (although same applies with CZ these days tbh).

Also consider Remington, and Howa.

All of these makes do similar or identical rifles in 243, and all will do you well there too.

243 will hit harder, but it's more expensive and noisier, so this may be a concern.

If you will ever have the chance to shoot Deer get a .243 and load your own ammo. Without home loads it will be expensive.

If you will never want to shoot Deer, get a .223. They have more than enough grunt to take a Fox at 300 yards.

I like CZs. If you plan to walk a lot don't get a Varmint, they're heavy. A sporter weight 527 is a nice rifle, I have one in .22 Hornet and it's excellent. I sold my CZ527 Varmint .223 to get it as I found the .223 too powerful!

Im considering getting a 223 for lamping foxes,what make would you lads recommend for the job,i had a tikka inmind or maybe a cz,something that gives good tight groups,another possibility is a 243 using some of the lighter loads what are your veiws on this and which of the two calibers would you say is better suited for the job?

I have had a lot of various centrefire .22's, the 'best' was (suprise suprise) the most expensive, a 22.250 VSSF Remy, and a hideously expensive scope on the top, it could (off a bipod) head shoot a fox from 200yds, but my mates BRNO 527 with a 'decent' scope was nearly as good but at a fraction of the cost, handloaded ammo from our bench was the common thread.

I now use a Browning A-Bolt Medalion in .270Win as a Deer plus Vermin rifle, Handloaded 110Gr Hornady Vmax on 59Gr of R22 is the magic formulae for Renard, it makes a mess but Hey were not eating the result.

My buddy currently uses a Savage BVSS in .243, 75Gr Vmax for Fox, and 100Gr Nosler for Deer, his 22.250 Savage (same rifle 21 'thou larger diameter shoots much better?), is a mystery, tack driver or what? Better than the newer .243.

I have a Wildcat Moderator on my 270, if nothing else it means the lamp pilot can hear right after the shot, as opposed to three days later (when it only had a muzzle brake!)

If you are still in the market, get a 6MM (.243) as it is deer legal out of the box, and could save you some 'explaining' later, the irony being that all centrefires are as 'dangerous' as all the others, in my opinion the .22 rimfire is the worst offender, rubber bullets abound, at least the big bangers explode in a cloud of fragments, not like the wheeeee! where has that gone? scenario most of us have experienced.

I wasn't permitted a .243 based on the fact I didn't have any shoots where deer was to be shot. .243 was over-kill for fox apparently!

So I was left with .222, .223 and .22-250. The shop had each calibre in a few different makes, but I plumped for a CZ 550 in .22-250. Flatter trajectory due to the higher velocity, and was a nice piece of kit - virtually brand new.

Just started basic reloading so I'm looking forward to trying out some home loads.

Any of the .22 centrefires will do the job though.