Whose hairs are these.....

hi...not sure if this is the right place for this thread but i am sure it will be moved if not......

i was out on one of my permissions the other day...the farmer has problems with foxes, that like to free meal on his poultry!!!

anyway i have recently see one fox whilst lamping but it was far away and quite obviously spooked by the light....anyway in daylight i had a look along the edge of the railway line that borders the land....[at a point opposite where i had seen the fox] i found a drainage pipe [2 or 3 feet in diameter] that exited at the base of the embankment. there was a very defined track leading from this onto the field...to the extent that when i looked for any hairs/tracks the ground was packed hard and all nearby vegetation had been previously pushed aside and held no clues..

post-26598-1235206547_thumb.jpg

post-26598-1235206582_thumb.jpg

anyway about 15 yards further along was a very similar track that came over the line and down the embankment, this though did hold a clue...

post-26598-1235206685.jpg

the hair was about 2 1/4 inches long, with a black tip, then a futher patch of white, the middle half inch was black and the rest white...

can anyone give me an idea of whose hair this is...it was one of 3 identical ones snagged on a piece of broken greenery, the only ones i found. i dont think it is fox...the farmer doesnt have any matching coloured dogs and they havent been down there for months...no one else walks dogs around there. i though of badger with the colouring but have never seen or heard of them within a couple of miles of this farm.

anyone any ideas????

There is a very easy way to see if it is badger hair.

Roll the hair between your thumb and forefinger. If it is smooth, it isn't badger. When you look at the cross section of a badger hair through a microscope, it is triangular in section. If you roll it, you will feel that triangular section.

Roll the hair between your thumb and forefinger. If it is smooth, it isn't badger. When you look at the cross section of a badger hair through a microscope, it is triangular in section. If you roll it, you will feel that triangular section.

great tip matt i havent heard that before, that might make me more confident to snare the feckers. i am off out monday night with my mate to watch a bit of lamping for the charlies. ill shall let everyone knoq how we get on

great tip matt i havent heard that before, that might make me more confident to snare the feckers. i am off out monday night with my mate to watch a bit of lamping for the charlies. ill shall let everyone knoq how we get on

I hope you are not intending to snare badgers :o :o :o AGAINST THE LAW. ;)

that did read wrong lol no i meant to snare to charlies although the badgers are annoying i am a law abbiding citizen. :icon_redface: i should have proof read, i made sense i my head lol :angel:

that did read wrong lol no i meant to snare to charlies although the badgers are annoying i am a law abbiding citizen. :icon_redface: i should have proof read, i made sense i my head lol :angel:

Why are the badgers annoying to you pal?

the badgers are destroying a bank and a field on the farm i hunt on and they farmers are not legally allowed to go within 20metres of a hole with their machinery. so hes fuming and i can't help control them AND THEY ARE VERMIN, HOW ON EARTH ARE THEY PROTECTED, THEY ARE TO TB WHAT THE RATS WERE TO THE PLAGUE. god it ANNOYS ME rules made for sane people by the insane people in government. rant over

the badgers are destroying a bank and a field on the farm i hunt on and they farmers are not legally allowed to go within 20metres of a hole with their machinery. so hes fuming and i can't help control them AND THEY ARE VERMIN, HOW ON EARTH ARE THEY PROTECTED, THEY ARE TO TB WHAT THE RATS WERE TO THE PLAGUE. god it ANNOYS ME rules made for sane people by the insane people in government. rant over

your annoyin, we put up with you! lol. You just have to put up with some things in life. Badgers are sometimes seen as one of em'.

your annoyin, we put up with you! lol. You just have to put up with some things in life. Badgers are sometimes seen as one of em'.

He's not alone, its the same for every farmer! He's fuming! Yet another clown of a farmer then with a short fuse. If that gets him him fuming, he's on the road to a heart attack, there a resession you know! And badgers arent classed as vermin my friend!

He's not alone, its the same for every farmer! He's fuming! Yet another clown of a farmer then with a short fuse. If that gets him him fuming, he's on the road to a heart attack, there a resession you know! And badgers arent classed as vermin my friend!

they bloody well should be, thanks corky, hes a nice chap crap at snooker but a nice chap. it seems most farmers have short fuses though i have been threatened with a gun twice by different farmers. one for tresspassing (i took a wrong turn hiking)and once for poaching one rabbit i later found out he was paying someone to get rid of them the dopy plank i would have got rid of a few for nothing. anyway i dont like badgers

Guest ferret feller

i dont like em either... but they wont and cant stay protected but we will never be able too hunt them in the uk with dogs .....

hasnt someone got a lisence on hear witch alows him too snare trap shoot and dig bardgers and give them too defra?