golf course permissions

just wondering if any of you guys shoot rabbits over golf courses, i used to shoot over a local golf course and the owner green keeper was only too happy to have someone try to keep the numbers down. We used to head out first light for a couple of hourse before the customers arrived and then again at dusk. There are normally plenty of natural back stops for safety. What is the law regarding discharging firearms early in the morning keeping in mind golf courses are often near residential areas.

keith

just wondering if any of you guys shoot rabbits over golf courses, i used to shoot over a local golf course and the owner green keeper was only too happy to have someone try to keep the numbers down. We used to head out first light for a couple of hourse before the customers arrived and then again at dusk. There are normally plenty of natural back stops for safety. What is the law regarding discharging firearms early in the morning keeping in mind golf courses are often near residential areas.

keith

Hi Keith,

I have permission on 2 golf courses. I recently had one land checked for a 22 rimfire with no problems what so ever. Golf courses provide perfect conditions for shooting, to ensure the golfers are challenged the course is layed out with valleys, drops and hills thus plenty of ample backstops! Golf courses, as we all know, are infested with Rabbits. Getting rid of the rabbits takes a load off the greenkeepres shoulders to help keep the greens and fairays in their original unspoiled condition.

Most municipal (council owned) courses are situated in residential areas. So this MAY be a bit of a problem with the FLO. However, shooting at unsociable hours late night and early morning could be the solution.

Thanks

Anthony

My f.a.o. isnt to happy with me shooting golf courses ,and with golfer on them from 6am till last light then the kids and dog walkers you got to be really careful .But on top of ferreting and snaring/trapping its a great way to get the numbers down

we used to shoot very early in the mornings etc, the rabbits where easily spooked at that time, it was funny if you had a golf trolley they would stay put and you could practically kick them to death ( only joking) but if you looked out of place they were off. The owner of the course used to allow us to borrow one of their tractors that they used for ground keeping , the rabbits didnt pay any attention to it.

We only shot air rifles on the course but often ran into the problem where a bit more range would have increased our bag considerably.

keith

we used to shoot very early in the mornings etc, the rabbits where easily spooked at that time, it was funny if you had a golf trolley they would stay put and you could practically kick them to death ( only joking) but if you looked out of place they were off. The owner of the course used to allow us to borrow one of their tractors that they used for ground keeping , the rabbits didnt pay any attention to it.

We only shot air rifles on the course but often ran into the problem where a bit more range would have increased our bag considerably.

keith

Hence why i pursued the Rimfire approval. The rabbits were so lampshy it was un beleiveable as soon as the lamp was on em at 60 yrd they bolted. The rimfire gives me more range....so they cant escape now Wha ha ha ha (Evil Laugh).

The FLO also told me that he had approved anotehr golf course...cant remember the name of it now. Its next to the M62. I would go for it mate and see if you get it granted.

keith

Hence why i pursued the Rimfire approval. The rabbits were so lampshy it was un beleiveable as soon as the lamp was on em at 60 yrd they bolted. The rimfire gives me more range....so they cant escape now Wha ha ha ha (Evil Laugh).

The FLO also told me that he had approved anotehr golf course...cant remember the name of it now. Its next to the M62. I would go for it mate and see if you get it granted.

Oh and i forgot to add.....in one night. No word or a lie i promise you....we had a rest and a coffe on a bench at the club house at around 2am. Just out of curiosity we started squeaking... low and behold, 5 PAIRS of those green eyes!! I couldnt beleive it. It was that exciting it gave me the goose bumps. Unfortuantley at the time we only had sub 12lb air rifles

Law change, i may be wrong but the law in northern ireland may differ slightly now, we used to have to specify on the FAC application the land we watned to shoot rifles over, recently the law was changed to be similar to shotguns, you can shoot your rifle on any land which you have the owners permission and which is suitable, the police now put the onus on you to make sure the land is suitable for rifle hunting.

again this may not be the case but i will check it out.

keith

I have permission on a golf course that borders some of my other permissions and it is great for rabbits especially in the summer when there numbers are high and the ground is dry so we can drive round without damaging the grass.

I am cleared to use my .223 on there as I am the field the other side of the fence as the land is deemed safe, having good backstops. We only shoot on there on a night after 11pm once everyone has left and after notifying the land owner and police.