4oz holding fox??

victor

hi there, i have a 4oz 50 yard long nett. some places we cant shoot but still use dogs, ( we take shotguns with us when dogging any way)

any who we flush all out foxes do you think a 4oz long nett could hold a fox, or would it rip up like a bitch? it only has to be inther for about 10 seconds max before the dogs will come over t finnish him off.

no one has any idea if it'll hold for a bit or if it'll snap?? i dont want to try it untill i know lol :)

i think a fox would just jump the net, they're not daft. if you did catch one i think the potential for the net getting ripped or the dogs tangled in it is pretty high. You could end up with your long net wrapped around 2 pissed off dogs and 1 pissed off fox, sounds like a recipe for getting bitten to me!

Still i have never tried it so i might be wrong :D

:hmm: thanks guys, im not scared of being bittenand the dogs sure as hell arnt, ive been bitten heaps of times lol, and i always win ! :D cheers but evan if it dont jump it it's slow it down for the dog to atleast see it cus thats all thay need to do :)
  • 4 weeks later...
hi there, i have a 4oz 50 yard long nett. some places we cant shoot but still use dogs, ( we take shotguns with us when dogging any way)

any who we flush all out foxes do you think a 4oz long nett could hold a fox, or would it rip up like a bitch? it only has to be inther for about 10 seconds max before the dogs will come over t finnish him off.

hi mate i had a 14lb vixson in my 4z longnet last sunday. and stopped it for the dog. the first one i have had in it. i was out for the rabbits and hares but well happy when i got that

Dont mean to be a no all, so please forgive me if you already know. 4z has a breaking strain of 40 pound , 6z has a breaking strain of 60 pound and so on. Remembering that the twine is more than doubled up when holding a rabbit or fox, I dont think that you will have much of a problem. My fox nets have a mesh size of 3 and a quater inches the same size in fact that would be used to catch hares in long nets or gate nets. I find that this size really does work well.

well i didnt know any of that, but outhers i know have 4oz long nets and havent seen a rabbit in the net thay go over when [acking it up and it's ripped like a bitch.

But thanks anny way.

:hmm: thanks guys, im not scared of being bittenand the dogs sure as hell arnt, ive been bitten heaps of times lol, and i always win ! :D cheers but evan if it dont jump it it's slow it down for the dog to atleast see it cus thats all thay need to do :)

i reckon a fox would jump a long net! they arent daft

Dont mean to be a no all, so please forgive me if you already know. 4z has a breaking strain of 40 pound , 6z has a breaking strain of 60 pound and so on. Remembering that the twine is more than doubled up when holding a rabbit or fox, I dont think that you will have much of a problem. My fox nets have a mesh size of 3 and a quater inches the same size in fact that would be used to catch hares in long nets or gate nets. I find that this size really does work well.

well i didnt know any of that, but outhers i know have 4oz long nets and havent seen a rabbit in the net thay go over when [acking it up and it's ripped like a bitch.

But thanks anny way.

Had something bigger than a fox in my net a few years ago . The spiles were nearly all pulled and about 5 yards of net shredded but the "thing" was not only judged to be highly edible but was held long enough to pay the price of its, folly . A bunny in a long-net will often have a go at biting it's way out. I made some purse-nets of really fine but strong kite string years ago thinking I could stuff a load into a pocket and travel light . They were nipped through in seconds!.. Might explain why your' mates nets appear to get ripped ,especially if the rabbit has been left in the net too long. :thumbs: Edited by comanche