Tracking systems, hunting dogs...

I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses gps collars/locators for tracking hounds...... im specifically interested in the latest Garmin model.

I have plenty of questions for experienced users of these systems, Cheers, DnN

post-15936-1234825777.jpg

Edited by dogs-n-natives

I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses gps collars/locators for tracking hounds...... im specifically interested in the latest Garmin model.

I have plenty of questions for experienced users of these systems, Cheers, DnN

post-15936-1234825777.jpg

do you mean as in being able to find them or being able to download where they have been ?

scotty

You have a hand held gps, like the ones for hiking etc, it can also be used for this, and in car etc,.. but you can get collars for the dogs, and track them on the hand set, shows exactly where they are. Even alarms when they stop, loads more features aswell

I need to ask some questions to people already using this system, or similar ones. Cheers, DnN

post-15936-1234827560.jpg

they should bring a model out which tracks the microchip when dogs are chipped or is this device more used when you are out walking ??

most dog thieves would take the collars off

imagine knocking on thier doors asking for your dog back !!!!!!

it would freak them out big style

Well im interested in the device simply to help me when out hunting, I hunt dense forrestry aswel as mile on mile of rough hill ground, and there has been several times when one of the dogs has made a kill, and then eventually left it, as ive been unable to locate them.... its frustrating when one dog returns, showing signs that it has killed in the forrest, or a deep ravine or somewhere, mouth full of fur, covered in claret, some of the dogs would sound at the kill, but others will leave it and move on to find more game.

Most people who hunt hounds in the USA will use either radio or gps collars on their hounds,

The reason I was most interested in the gps collars and not the more popular radio collars, is because I also need a gps for the car, as well as other things, so could kill more birds with one stone so to speak.

There must be others using them over here, surely??

Well im interested in the device simply to help me when out hunting, I hunt dense forrestry aswel as mile on mile of rough hill ground, and there has been several times when one of the dogs has made a kill, and then eventually left it, as ive been unable to locate them.... its frustrating when one dog returns, showing signs that it has killed in the forrest, or a deep ravine or somewhere, mouth full of fur, covered in claret, some of the dogs would sound at the kill, but others will leave it and move on to find more game.

Most people who hunt hounds in the USA will use either radio or gps collars on their hounds,

The reason I was most interested in the gps collars and not the more popular radio collars, is because I also need a gps for the car, as well as other things, so could kill more birds with one stone so to speak.

Hi I use falconry telemetry on mine when they are hunting. i just tape a transmitter to their hunting harness and then if things go wrong i switch in the receiver. hope that helps?

I've long been interested in these systems myself as much of my hunting with my Salukis is in forestry and the can cover some ground as they simply do not tire.

Hi Bud,..

I have little to no exsperiance of these collars, although ALL the guys that hunt hounds that i know of (especially coyote hunters) use a collar like the ones your talking about...the Garmin gps ones are supposed to be the Role Royce of tracking collars, and are supposed to be VERY good!...im sure they would be ideal for what you do.

There are a few guys on this site that are Americans, and i would try and contact either STUNTMAN, or UpHillDoc...they might be able to tell you more mate...sorry i couldnt help more, and good luck!

Kye..

Cheers for the response so far, were getting warmer thats for sure ;)

thanks for the input KYE.

TYLA same thing mate, but there is a new model with a neat collar. That model fits into a harness with the ariel protruding from between the shoulder blades.

Cheers, DnN

post-15936-1234992989.jpg

Edited by dogs-n-natives