first air rifle

im 13 and the bsa lightning xl shoots like a dream. it's light and not barrel heavy. it can tackle rabbits and tree rats. also you'll need a scope. i bought a SMK mil-dot air rifle scope 4x40. its good for me but you might need something more powerful. my whole kit costed £335. if you can afford somethiong over £400 then go for a good pcp.

pigeon plucker ;):good:

Hi Dawnraider,

PM sent - "INCOMMING!!" :laugh::laugh:

Having fired it on a few occasions before now, and trying my lad (9 years old) out with it for size and fit, I would recommend the Air Arms S200 as a good all rounder for the young shooter as well as the others mentioned by the members already. I reckon all of the afore-mentioned rifles are good, but i have had no personal experience of those particular rifles - only what i have read before in the shooting mags, and so can't comment on them from the personal point of view. I have however, had experience of handling and shooting the S200 on many occasions and so thought i'd let you know what i though on it, and chuck it into the mix for good measure. :thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

Edited by Grim Reaper
im 13 and the bsa lightning xl shoots like a dream. it's light and not barrel heavy. it can tackle rabbits and tree rats. also you'll need a scope. i bought a SMK mil-dot air rifle scope 4x40. its good for me but you might need something more powerful. my whole kit costed £335. if you can afford somethiong over £400 then go for a good pcp.

pigeon plucker ;):good:

£335 a bit steep for a lightening springer aint it? . Just bought myself a new bsa ultra with 3-9-40 hawke zoom scope and bag for £350

I would go for a pcp mate i had a lightning and yes very good gun but doesnt compare against a pcp, also dont no how old your lad is but with a spring they are not the easiest thing to load for the younger ones, and also im always scared when loading the trigger catches on my coat and get pulled and then that makes the gun fire up from the "broken " position and if there are fingers in the way then it could be nasty... whereas a pcp is nice and easy to load.