• American Pitbull
    • Alaunt
    • Rhodesian ridgeback
    • Staffodshire bull terrier
    • German shephard/Alsation
    • Doberman
    • Pyrenean mountain dog
    • DOGUE DE BORDEUX

I see alot of people have gone for the German shephard i must say they are good guard dogs and good police dogs just too stupid for there own good.

:blink: GSD's Stupid... :blink:

anyway, not wanting to preach, GSD's look like wolves, we have an inherent fear of wolves going back to caveman status....

and I like em... !!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is my favourite of our gourd dogs bronson

Posted Images

theres no best breed but just like any working dog you need to find one from someone who trains & works in the arena you want you dog to work in.. ie get a dog from shutzhund parents or someone who does lots of protection work with there line of dogs.

Check out the protection uk forum for dogs like shepherds like malinios etc but like anything it takes alot of work & you cant just "buy" a protection dog unless you pay silly money.

The Fila & Ovtcharka are the only dogs i have heard of that dont need training for this kind of work but to make open & blanket statements like some have made would be silly becauase it really does take alot of work to have a proper guard or PP dog & its no joke & i can imagine some people would read this post & think hey i will just go & get that breed of dog because it has been suggested they are good when in fact only a small proportion of these dogs could ever make good PP Dogs

on a sidenote you wont see many on that list of "guard dogs" at PP Training clubs or shutzhund training clubs, What you will see however is Malinios, GSD of usually European origin, Rotties, American Bulldogs & the odd bandog type.

Theres not alot of dogos working in PP nor do i think i can think of a single DDB that has a PP Title & thats the same for pretty much 99 percent of that list lol

Edited by richard25

When i was in South Africa, most of the farms and houses i visited had Boarboels as Guard dogs, the 1's i saw out there were much more athletic than the 1's i've seen here. By all accounts they were best for the job!

A couple of the Stud farms near me have Ridgebacks and i was once told, a Ridgeback will let you in no worries, the problem arises when you want to leave!

I see alot of people have gone for the German shephard i must say they are good guard dogs and good police dogs just too stupid for there own good.

This shows what little experience you have of the breed, also you have listed German Shepherds and Alsations as separate votes? They are the same dog.

The best guard dog depends on your definition of a guard dog, many people are happy with something that sits in the kennels and barks at strange noises, other own dogs that will bite anyone entering their "territory" where as my idea of a guard dog is one that is very sociable inside and outside the home environment, is always under control with an excellent level of obedience and high drive and strong nerves, the dog must be able to find, locate and hold and intruder without biting unless told too, my dogs are also trained on searching, and various manwork techniques to make the dog think they are indestructable.

I like rotties but they can be headstrong and finding a good one with all the physical and physcological attributes is difficult, imported malinois are very high drive but are often to high maintenance for pet homes and require a great deal of experience. I also like some bull breeds but I find a GSD from Belgian/Dutch or Slovakian lines that is physically sound and has the correct drives is the best all round protection dog.................

This shows what little experience you have of the breed, also you have listed German Shepherds and Alsations as separate votes? They are the same dog.

The best guard dog depends on your definition of a guard dog, many people are happy with something that sits in the kennels and barks at strange noises, other own dogs that will bite anyone entering their "territory" where as my idea of a guard dog is one that is very sociable inside and outside the home environment, is always under control with an excellent level of obedience and high drive and strong nerves, the dog must be able to find, locate and hold and intruder without biting unless told too, my dogs are also trained on searching, and various manwork techniques to make the dog think they are indestructable.

I like rotties but they can be headstrong and finding a good one with all the physical and physcological attributes is difficult, imported malinois are very high drive but are often to high maintenance for pet homes and require a great deal of experience. I also like some bull breeds but I find a GSD from Belgian/Dutch or Slovakian lines that is physically sound and has the correct drives is the best all round protection dog.................

I could not agree with you more, your post is very accurate, i love gsd's from Slovak lines, have you worked any? from what line etc? i like yourself think they are great dogs but not for your average pet home.

A Pitbull is difiniatly not a guard dog & is a common mistake people make, there temp is like a staffie & most staffies would help the robber leave & leave with him, so to say a pitbull is a joke.

Just wondering what kind of work you do with your dogs to build up there confidence? do you train at a club? I personally like to build up there confidence for the first year ( two years if a bull breed ) then slowly start bringing on the civil work & see what there made of but i introduce environmental stimuli at a young age to make sure they are not nerve bags then the world is there oyster :)

Nice post

I could not agree with you more, your post is very accurate, i love gsd's from Slovak lines, have you worked any? from what line etc? i like yourself think they are great dogs but not for your average pet home.

A Pitbull is difiniatly not a guard dog & is a common mistake people make, there temp is like a staffie & most staffies would help the robber leave & leave with him, so to say a pitbull is a joke.

Just wondering what kind of work you do with your dogs to build up there confidence? do you train at a club? I personally like to build up there confidence for the first year ( two years if a bull breed ) then slowly start bringing on the civil work & see what there made of but i introduce environmental stimuli at a young age to make sure they are not nerve bags then the world is there oyster :)

Nice post

Yes I have worked a few Slovakian dogs, people have started to go there asthey are cheaper than a lot of other countries now. Yes from 8 weeks I start basic bite work and obedience and work on prey drive and instilling the basics, I only work in civil of fight drive if the dogs is mature or ready, not all dogs have a suitable temperament for this work. Confidence in training is a constant traning aid and via bitework I always send a dog off the field on a high thinking hes the scariest thing on four legs, confidene can also be built with traning the dog in various situations so that anything is the norm. One thing we used to teach was switching the dog from arm to arm or arm to leg, usefull if someone had a weapon, but again this wasn't done too often or you would lose the dogs focus on an arm as he waits for a switch command. I was a club trainer but also worked within the sport, for a training company and privately. Nowdays I don't have the time. ;) Myself and friends liked to work dogs from the Peko Haus line imported into the north east from Belgium.