1st crosses - what would your choice be?

Guest hpool_hunter

deerhound x grey would be my ideal dog,although i did meet a guy a few weeks back witha grey x giant schnauzer !! it was from lines used by the german plod(it broke a leg when a pup so wasn't used by them) and it was fast as you like and has done all quarry but not so great on rabbits in small fields! great coat and got some balls too!"

scotty

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldnt cross a first cross unles i could pick the litter out some not ideal for all round work , but the ones that are well they do most thing beardie or hard border type , or any the saluks of tor of dartmor line made good deer hares fox dogs and the bitches were smaller and done rabbs whatever , as for terreir alrite if you get one thtas quite and sensible amnd controlable a bit ,as some end up yappy big terreirs , some are spot on like the wheaton , but realy i look at things, both parents have to have a bit flair and pace and both atheletic with stamina ,no piont in putting a big cloddy thing with no natural ability to a non sound greyhound ,not any greyhound will do and not any coli etc will do has to have good feet strong kneck long and intelegent only way , you only mayb see afew collies terreirs saluks who suit to breeding lurchers cheers

if you had a greyhound bitch and was to line her with something and create a suitable 1st cross for genreal lamping/mooching , bit of everything , what would it be?

list your preferance's , member this IS NOT a debate people , its peoples OPINIONS and everyone is allowed one :D

ACD great all rounders, pre ban not hare coursers but would hunt them up, give Fireman a call and purchase one if you want good hunters that are strong, clever. loyal and have great noses.

id go wheaton as the best dog iv seen for all round work is a first x wheaton he wouldnt kill a hare in the day but he would slaughter them on the lamp, i see him nock and kill practically everyother quarry you would hunt with dogs, hes a top class drawing dog too

Here's 1st cross deer/grey of a mate.

Great dog, not all that smart but will run all day and them some. Super tough.

Seen a whippet/deerhound before, another mate has one of those. It smokes a hare or a rabbit and then keeps running.

(these are australian dogs)

post-28163-1232077015_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiewhippet
if you had a greyhound bitch and was to line her with something and create a suitable 1st cross for genreal lamping/mooching , bit of everything , what would it be?

list your preferance's , member this IS NOT a debate people , its peoples OPINIONS and everyone is allowed one :D

ACD great all rounders, pre ban not hare coursers but would hunt them up, give Fireman a call and purchase one if you want good hunters that are strong, clever. loyal and have great noses.

i would use a first cross ACD cross greyhound (if i could find one) on my greyhound bitch as i think that the three quarter bred would be more usefull to me than a first cross.

Colliex grey, they are good at most game, if you can get a good un, they will tackle anything. ;)

i gotta say i agree,collie cross. border x grey or border x whippet works for me if just after a dog for a mouch about.

maybe a saluki x grey for a more 'rounded' dog :big_boss:

Edited by HAREHUNTER