22-250 or 204?

Mate uses 22.250 and 22.4000 wilcats for foxes and has taken lots.

Mind he builds his own custom varmint rifles in these calibres and loads his own.

Seen him take crows out to 300yds with the 22.250 and I know he has taken foxes well beyond this!

If your after a purpose built rifle and want his number let me know!

He is also building a .20 cal varmint for a customer at present looks a nice bit of kit!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind he builds his own custom varmint rifles in these calibres and loads his own.

Seen him take crows out to 300yds with the 22.250 and I know he has taken foxes well beyond this!

He is also building a .20 cal varmint for a customer at present looks a nice bit of kit!

is he a gun dealer by any chance? i think i know who you're talking about

Well, form has been sent off, I kept with what I originally asked for - 22WMR and 243. Probably change it later, but until I know more about reloading and what the rifles like, I will stick with what I know.

And 243 is the most versatile calibre there is, so can't really go too far wrong.

is it a 20 tac he is building mate ?

:thumbs::thumbs:.243 would be my choice...especially if you are going to reload...I suspect you will be able to develop a cracking .243 round for the job!

Seems a lot tend to agree....

We all know there are plenty of other calibres to think about, but from what I understand a .204 for 400 yard foxes would not be many peoples first choice!

We are all very well aware of what a .243 can do to a rabbit (well, some of us are anyway), but like I said....I suspect you will be able to develop a cracking .243 round for the job![/color]..if this is coming in around 40-45p then it becomes realistic to use it on the occasional bunny rather than factory ammo at £1+++++++ each!!

Time will tell....but just to add to the debate....they will not all be 400 yards away remember... :hmm::hmm:

:thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

The 22-250 may well be the better round in wind, I have no experience with either calibre so can't comment from experience, but, it's worth mentioning that projectile weight and muzzle velocity have no bearing on a bullet's ability to buck wind.

It all comes down to BC and time of flight. More specifically, the difference in time of flight compared to that which would have occurred if the projectile had continued at muzzle velocity to the target, say, in a vacuum. Therefore in many cases a faster, heavier projectile will be subject to more wind drift because of these two factors.

Hope this helps someone. It helped me understand some of the discrepancies occurring with popular opinion on the best calibre in windy conditions.

Wow ! only a month ago you had a real mardy at me saying that you thought there was no need for wildcat rounds [.204]as YOU had all that was needed .

Get with the programme! :) 204 Ruger has been a factory round for the last 4 years...

And at no point have I said that there was no need for wildcat calibres, just that I personally didn't see the need for them. I still don't, I don't do anything that requires one. As and when I do then maybe I'll change my mind, till then, they're too much hassle.

I didn't actually say I had all that was needed either, just that a 243 is a good choice for long range fox and target, custom rifle or otherwise. And it is... I've just sent in a variation, for a slot I may never use (and one that I will). But since it's there, may as well keep it on there.

''Therefore in many cases a faster, heavier projectile will be subject to more wind drift''

Really? i thought it was the opposite, because my 55gr 3400 fps .223 bullets drift less than my 1150 fps .22lr 40gr pellets at the same distance.

can you explain, or have i totally misunderstood?

Phil

''Therefore in many cases a faster, heavier projectile will be subject to more wind drift''

Really? i thought it was the opposite, because my 55gr 3400 fps .223 bullets drift less than my 1150 fps .22lr 40gr pellets at the same distance.

can you explain, or have i totally misunderstood?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry I took so long to reply, been out lamping, bit crunchy underfoot and the moon was doing a very convincing Sun impression so only a handful for the butcher in the morning.

Anyway, the Ballistic Coefficient (BC) of the 223 is far better than the lowly 22lr, so in this case yes, the heavier projectile is less effected by wind, but not because it's heavier, because it's more aerodynamic.

As a very general rule, of two very similarly shaped, identical calibre projectiles, the heavier one will create less drag because it's slightly longer, which is probably where the myth that 'heavier bullets are less effected by wind' comes from. However, if you have a very light but slippery bullet it could easily out perform a much faster heavier one. It all depends on the shape and ultimately the BC, everything else is pretty much irrelevant as I understand it. The BC does alter depending on how fast the projectile travles as well as if things weren't already complex enough.

As an example, a 17 grain HMR round will easily out perform a 40 grain 22lr. Although general opinion is the opposite for some reason. Have a look at a website called exteroirballistics.com, it explains pretty much everything that happens to a bullet once it has left the muzzle. Well worth a look if you've got a spare week and lots of coffee. :boredom:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Finkley

LOGIC/aka none

Get with the programme! :) 204 Ruger has been a factory round for the last 4 years...

So the .260 rem that you thought was a waste of time , and been in production for 11 years is NOT one of your unneeded wildcats ! but a mainstream round ?

Oh and you spell program with one 'm' :whistling:

Edited by coldweld
LOGIC/aka none

So the .260 rem that you thought was a waste of time , and been in production for 11 years is NOT one of your unneeded wildcats ! but a mainstream round ?

Oh and you spell program with one 'm' :whistling:

Actually you spell it programme, go look in a dictionary.

I didn't actually say anything about a 260 Rem, at all, whatsoever, nada, never mentioned it. Please don't post any more on my threads, your comments aren't welcome.