real common in terriers ie terrier hop..its normally perthes disease..a bit like hip displasia dont panic..some terriers suffer this disease when young which causes the ball of the hip joint to grow abnormally and this makes the terrier hop..most dont bother about it all their lives others are unfortunate and have to be operated on

as terrier2 said perthes.I had a terrier with it,we had it operated on but she never got 100 % use out of it.i know of a westie had it and she recovered well with virtually 100%.If you don't do something then the dog will always be in discomfort.

The terrier I had the operation was a terrefic earthdog.Walking was fine but when she ran 3 legs.She also got frustrated not being able to out run the others when bushing.If I had the choice again I would have had her pts.Thats my opinon,if just a pet have the op.For goodsake don't breed!

It wont be leggs perthes, it will probably be "Luxating patella" or Jack Russell hop! Its when the knee slips in and out of its groove as the dog moves, they usually walk ok and run ok, but "skip" when trotting. In most cases it causes no problems.

It wont be leggs perthes, it will probably be "Luxating patella" or Jack Russell hop! Its when the knee slips in and out of its groove as the dog moves, they usually walk ok and run ok, but "skip" when trotting. In most cases it causes no problems.

thats what i meant lux patella, hip dysplasia :wallbash:

i have a wee shorty russell with it, and it causes her very little bother, she will stretch and click it back in again, if on the odd occassion it causes her bother, once the neighbours came knocking on the door carrying her, saying her leg had gone :thumbdown: he put her down and she stretched and trotted off :victory:

i was always told that perthese disease was where the marrow in the bone seaped/leaked from the bone, didnt know dogs suffered with it, i had it when i was little

and we were told it was mainly boys that suffered with it being only 1 in 10,000 a girl having it??

• 1 month later...

Nope, it's a "small dog" thing. I don't think it will be Perthes, rather Patella Luxation. There is a "test" for it, takes like 5 minutes, the dog needs no sedalin, nothing, it doesn't hurt. I did it to all my Russells and they were all negative (Grade 0 - not luxating). And the test is not expensive either. Advised to be done by an Orthoped vet.

Anna