Training a Springer...

Hi all, my dad is buying a 9 week old springer and i would like to be as knowledgable about training as i can so i am going to ask the people who know (you lot). I need to know about what age to start different types of training and the best ways of training them to do that, I am going to hopefully train her to be a beating dog so she should be able to push cover through on command sit and stay and go and pick up and retrieve. Its alot to ask but any info will be very helpfull. ATB ollie

Hi Ollie,

The Springer Spaniel is very capable of both flushing and retrieving hovever, if you wanting him as a beating dog you will find it much easier if you don't let him retrieve game.

The reason for this is that once you give your dog the feel and taste of game it will be more likley to want to catch, rather than flush in the beating line.

Before you all start telling me about your super dog who hunts, flushes, retrieves and probaby even shoots! I would like to point out that there are many Spaniels, my own included that beat and retrieve, yet for a novice trainer, try and keep it simple.

Training this way you'll more likely to find yourself with a dog which is very good at one discipline, rather than a dog who is average at both.

With a pup, don't rush in to training as you will be doing more harm than good.

For the first couple of months you should just be trying to bond with your dog. Get him to come to you and praise him alot, you will find it alot eaiser to train a dog who wants to be with you!!

Don't over excite your dog the calmer you are with him, the more steady he will be.

Teach the sit comand by using "sit" but also holding your hand above your head. in a week or so you will be able to get your dog to sit using only this hand command.

Buy yourself a simple dog whistle (the ACME type) give a few little pips on the whistle when calling the dog to you, and one long note when holding up your hand for him to sit.

These two commands are easy to teach and make the base for any further training.

Remember, don't make training sessions too long (5-10 mins is fine) and don't confuse or bore your dog.

Praise is more constructive than punishment, always end a training session on a good note.

Hope this helps for now!

Just a quick one !

Don't try and rush . More dogs are ruined by doing to much to young . My present springer pup is 5 months and has not seen a dummy yet .

Heal sit and stay are all she needs will start dummy work and starting pistol at 7-9 months. I'm looking for a dog to do 8 years work so why rush the first and most important year of her working life.

Oh and forgot to add WHEN it plays up stay calm and remember it's a dog .

Just a quick one !

Don't try and rush . More dogs are ruined by doing to much to young . My present springer pup is 5 months and has not seen a dummy yet .

Heal sit and stay are all she needs will start dummy work and starting pistol at 7-9 months. I'm looking for a dog to do 8 years work so why rush the first and most important year of her working life.

Oh and forgot to add WHEN it plays up stay calm and remember it's a dog .

And a springer dog at that :tongue2:

good luck with the pup, get the openshaw, deeley training dvds theres two, basic training and advanced, be a good investement, but as said dont rush into training 8-9 months is a good time to start, but you can start by keeping the pup near you, dont let it have its head and start chasing things, when you start training make sure you instill the stop whistle at all costs, then if it looks like theres gonna be trouble you can stop the pup and get too it quick and correct it.all l can say is take your time, dont move on till the dog as mastered a task, ie sit and stay if you tell it to do it the command must be obeyed, theres a lot to it but be patient and dont rush it and you should have a good little dog. also it pays to get a well bred dog from someone who knows how too train them you can always get advice from them, if you need anymore info give us a shout.

Hi Ollie,

The Springer Spaniel is very capable of both flushing and retrieving hovever, if you wanting him as a beating dog you will find it much easier if you don't let him retrieve game.

The reason for this is that once you give your dog the feel and taste of game it will be more likley to want to catch, rather than flush in the beating line.

Before you all start telling me about your super dog who hunts, flushes, retrieves and probaby even shoots! I would like to point out that there are many Spaniels, my own included that beat and retrieve, yet for a novice trainer, try and keep it simple.

Training this way you'll more likely to find yourself with a dog which is very good at one discipline, rather than a dog who is average at both.

With a pup, don't rush in to training as you will be doing more harm than good.

For the first couple of months you should just be trying to bond with your dog. Get him to come to you and praise him alot, you will find it alot eaiser to train a dog who wants to be with you!!

Don't over excite your dog the calmer you are with him, the more steady he will be.

Teach the sit comand by using "sit" but also holding your hand above your head. in a week or so you will be able to get your dog to sit using only this hand command.

Buy yourself a simple dog whistle (the ACME type) give a few little pips on the whistle when calling the dog to you, and one long note when holding up your hand for him to sit.

These two commands are easy to teach and make the base for any further training.

Remember, don't make training sessions too long (5-10 mins is fine) and don't confuse or bore your dog.

Praise is more constructive than punishment, always end a training session on a good note.

Hope this helps for now!

nice one that one of the best i have read i got a cocker spainel and at the age of 9 months i was trying to get him to fetch back pigions and rabits witch he did well now he is 3 and he has started to chase them to and now stoped retreaving :wallbash:

got my self a 5 month old cocker bith now want make the same with her but it is hard when you dont no what your doing but having 3 years with him he makes a good training dog.

Hi all, my dad is buying a 9 week old springer and i would like to be as knowledgable about training as i can so i am going to ask the people who know (you lot). I need to know about what age to start different types of training and the best ways of training them to do that, I am going to hopefully train her to be a beating dog so she should be able to push cover through on command sit and stay and go and pick up and retrieve. Its alot to ask but any info will be very helpfull. ATB ollie

hi mate like everyone says really take your time and be consistant ! if your having a bad day best not do any training as dogs sense the tension ! good luck and enjoy it !

i have been reading and reading as i dont want to mess up with my cocker, no doute i will but i do my best, one book stands out and is joe Irvings book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Spaniels-...g/dp/1853104191 ) very well put together and explains why things are done and why not to do other things.

best of luck and have loads of fun with the puppy. if red mist start to come in then walk away and come back happy..........well thats what they tell me but mines just been one hell of a good buy. happy days

regards

Phil