I was wondering if anyone else uses the rabbit hide and if you do how do you tan it?

thanks

I started this yesterday for the first time, so no experience yet that I can share. Just cleaned the skins and put them on salt to dry.

Not sure how to get all the membrane off. It's seems to be sticking pretty tight to the skin.

I'm keen to hear how people do this.

cheers,

Vincent

I get the membrane off by tacking the hide to a board and VERY gently scraping the membrane off with either a blunt pocket knife or a spoon. Be carefull because the skin tears annoying often.

does this get done before salting?

when your fleshing the hide of a rabbit you need to go from tail to head. if you do it the other way the skin will tear much easyier. you can buy home tanning kits of the net, they not that expensive or you can buy the stuff from the pharmacy and other stores. depends on what you want the skins fo depends on what substances to use. the best idea would be to get a kit from the net and then after some practise buy the chemicals locally. try snowdonia taxidermy suppliesfor a kit im sure they wil point you in the right direction.

I take the membrane off before salting. I imagine it would be very hard to get off if not unless you soaked it again.

Someone on here gave me a good link to some pages about preserving all manner of skins, different methods etc. I cant find it on the net though.

i get the hide stretch and pin it to a board (plywood ) scrape the membrane off its easier when stretched.pour on salt and rub into the hide i normaly after a few days repeat rubbing in salt leave in a dry place to dry out after its cured the hide will feel like cardboard all you have to do then is scrunch it up and rub it as if hand washing something it will subtle up the hide its good for wrapping around dummies etc to throw for the pups to get them used to the feel of fur in their mouths good luck any questions reguarding the process pm me mate glad to help

Edited by steveescott
  • 4 weeks later...

Salt only helps dry it rather than curing it. It is possible to dry scrape it, but much easier wet!

I used to have a copy of instructions for making a rabbit skin blanket. Basically each skin was cut into a spiral and then woven together so you have fur on both sides. Very snug apparently. Sadly, whilst I'm interested in hunting I've not been, so I don't have enough of a supply to try it for myself as it needs something like 50 skins.

• 1 month later...

Used to use allum years ago.

Not sure if you can still get it.Theres bound to be something the HSE bods have found to ban it.

would use the back of a hacksaw blade to scape then stretch it out over a large enough board then rub in the allum then coat with salt/allum mix(80/20 by vol).

Should still have the old 50's Taxidermy book somewhere with the process in.

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink: >>>>> :sick:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you can still get allum, try e-bay. I was got the recipie for curing hides from the dangerous book for boys, and it works. Produces cured hides, ready for oiling. As i say, get your allum from e-bay.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I've been trying to find alum for ages. :icon_redface: