Falconry HPR

jakk

I'm currently wanting a HPR to work alongside Birds Of Prey. I've had terriers in the past so this is all new to me and just wondering what would be the best way to go about training them. I would also like your opinions on the many breeds and their working abilities. I would really like a Weimaraner as i grew up with one and just love the breed in general but i've been told by people who actually work them that they are hard dogs to train especially for a beginner. I'm currently ploughing through as many books as i can (can anyone tell me what they consider to be their faverate books on HPR training) and trying to find a local working HPR owner but would like your opinions before definately setting my mind on a certain breed. Thank you Jakk

I'm currently wanting a HPR to work alongside Birds Of Prey. I've had terriers in the past so this is all new to me and just wondering what would be the best way to go about training them. I would also like your opinions on the many breeds and their working abilities. I would really like a Weimaraner as i grew up with one and just love the breed in general but i've been told by people who actually work them that they are hard dogs to train especially for a beginner. I'm currently ploughing through as many books as i can (can anyone tell me what they consider to be their faverate books on HPR training) and trying to find a local working HPR owner but would like your opinions before definately setting my mind on a certain breed. Thank you Jakk

Hello Jakk

I wouldn't bother with the Weimaraner as I have never seen or heard or a good working strain of them.

You are best with a GSP or GWP, but get a bitch cos they are much easier to train.

Once you have a good one you will never ever go hawking with out a dog again.

Everything from Lark, Blackbird, Rabbit, Pheasant or any hawking that you can think of they will do it all.

I have have only had two dogs in my life, first dog Brittany for 13 years, and now a GWP Bitch at 4 years. Both excellent dogs in but the GWP is more versatile. Both just faconry dogs mainly with Gosses and Spars.

Good luck with the new pup.

What bird do you fly ?

Terry

Hello Jakk

I wouldn't bother with the Weimaraner as I have never seen or heard or a good working strain of them.

You are best with a GSP or GWP, but get a bitch cos they are much easier to train.

Once you have a good one you will never ever go hawking with out a dog again.

Everything from Lark, Blackbird, Rabbit, Pheasant or any hawking that you can think of they will do it all.

I have have only had two dogs in my life, first dog Brittany for 13 years, and now a GWP Bitch at 4 years. Both excellent dogs in but the GWP is more versatile. Both just faconry dogs mainly with Gosses and Spars.

Good luck with the new pup.

What bird do you fly ?

Terry

if you can find a decent working strain weimaraner then all is good however the vizlsa is my dog choice versatile to hawk and gun....loyal and kennel reasonably well again do your reasearch and get a pup/dog from a decent working strain....heres a few pics of mine!!!

charliebeating023.jpg

charliebeating046.jpg

kirasb-day018.jpg

vizalanslastdayphessywoodcockx001.jpg

onthecliffs003.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

100_2373liltroymaisypartridge2.jpg

i'm flying a buzzard at the minute but started the Gyr/ Sakers training and i think i'll pursue the longwing side of things to be honest. I do like visla's and GSP's too i think its just a case of seeing them work and seeing their differant personalitys and see whats best suited to me i think :)