unusual breeds/x breeds

the all-rounder post the other day got me thinking. i would consider an allrounder to be a dog that can catch quarry by any means possible,and then it got me thinking of all the non lurcher dogs that ive seen hidden away from visiters in remote/rural areas that are used as pot fillers.eg gundogs/collies/terriers/staffs.and was wondering what breeds/x breeds have you lot seen on your travels that arnt lurchers/longdogs that have been used for hunting edible quarry.

if you look on the best bag thread you will see my [bANNED TEXT] with a springer next a good bag of birds . that little spanial bitch was one of the best pot fillers i ever saw. when ever we went out she would materalize with a rabbit hare or a bird.

Ive got a Bedlington/springer :D Shes a good ratter,will bush rabbits well and marks a bit out ferreting.

Shes got a really decent nose and has taken a wood pigeon out of cover before!

Ill try and put a picture up of her later, she is a little bit unusual to say the least :icon_eek:

Used to have a Border Collie that was an efficient lamp dog, enough speed, stamina and skill for bunnies. He ran a few foxes but never caught one, would of liked to have seen the resulst :rolleyes: Currently have a couple of GSD's that I trained for sport but last season started them out with the terrier for interest, they work well with the terrier and soon learnt how to mark and wait for rabbits pushed from cover. I've also worked the younger of the two on the lamp, lots of stamina but needs longer runs as shepherds lack pace for 25 yard sprints, unfortunately they aren't lurchers :good:

Couple more

Ive got a Bedlington/springer :D Shes a good ratter,will bush rabbits well and marks a bit out ferreting.

Ill try and put a picture up of her later, she is a little bit unusual to say the least :icon_eek:

if you cant on here try emailing me it ,its kind of what got me thinking that the ugly dogs i seen as a kid were workers, pot fillers that earned their keep. no one cared about looks,in 70,s/80,s.now with more money and show craze people seem to care about looks over working ability.back in dorset even the lifestock was crossbreds let alone small animals only big farmers had pure breeds.so if someone had a ugly dog you knew it was a secret grafter.i expect the people that used to knock around the hill farms in wales/shropshire can relate to this rundown farms beat up old van no flash jap 4x4,s.

Guest DogFaceKillah

in fact mate if i remember correctly is was p tyrer's dog jay, my mistake, and seriously ask him your self this dog was the ugliest dog around and soooo unusual, but never falsed marked and done the job 110 percent :good:

if you cant on here try emailing me it ,its kind of what got me thinking that the ugly dogs i seen as a kid were workers, pot fillers that earned their keep. no one cared about looks,in 70,s/80,s.now with more money and show craze people seem to care about looks over working ability.back in dorset even the lifestock was crossbreds let alone small animals only big farmers had pure breeds.so if someone had a ugly dog you knew it was a secret grafter.i expect the people that used to knock around the hill farms in wales/shropshire can relate to this rundown farms beat up old van no flash jap 4x4,s.

Sorry for the delay mate

DSC02261.jpg

Not the prettiest, but a handy sort of hound