giving your lurcher a smack.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just general chewing shoes, even though i offer her something else and praise her when she chews that, but turn your back and she is back in the shoe rack. taking rubish from the bin, even sussed how to open the flip top bins. just general stuff, all her other training like sit recall, retrieve etc are realy good.

Chewing shoes - my pups have their own toys kept in their own box. They are never encouraged to take anything that isn't their's, ie there is no old shoe for a dog to chew on coz how can they tell which are the latest Jimmy Choo's and the old knackered brogue for them. Same with cuddly toys. I do not buy my dogs toys that look like human toys, ie teddy bears with ropes attached. How do they know the difference between that and my kids' toys? All dog toys everyday get put back into a little basket (yes, very anal, I know) under a chair that has only dog toys in it including old bones. My dogs help themselves from there for their toys. No people toys are there. They can't get our shoes coz they are in the porch and that door is shut.

I make sure things are kept away, ie shoes are in bedrooms or in rooms with doors shut. Things are not left lying about. Children sure learn quickly when their belongings are being eaten to shut their bedrooms doors properly!

If she takes things from the shoe rack, put the shoe rack in a room where she can't help herself.

As for rubbish in a bin, my bin is a proper dustbin with a lid type. I would put spring loaded straps on if it meant the dog could not get in it. I would take the bin outside so she could not get in it. Get a better bin. Put the bin in a cupboard.

My house is a tiny little croft house and we all live in it - 2 kids, 1 OH, 3 dogs and 2 cats and MY RULES. But they are only my rules because I made the house dog/cat/children proof. One cat can open any bin bag anywhere so we hang, yes, hang the full ones from a wire in the shed before bin day. He can't get them. Problem solved. One coat-hanger wire later. No telling off a cat that was feral before so used to living off binbags.

SET YOURSELF UP TO SUCCEED all the time so you are not constantly nagging the dog for natural dog behaviour. Your dog has a brain - she has proved that by learning to sit, stay, recall , etc. but she can't tell the difference in your house between what is yours' and what is her's.

I would go into every room of your house and work out what messages and temptations it is giving your dog and then change it. It doesn't take much. I painted neat washing up liquid on the wooden table leg that the pups were chewing at night - they soon stopped. Washing up liquid did not damage the table leg but a puppy's teeth did far more without it. Problem solved.

Good luck. As I said, and keep saying, set yourself up to succeed.