giving your lurcher a smack.

Is she not teething, as shoes are a favourate when they are, the chew toys you are giving her

are probably not intresting enough or are not helping if she is teething,

old tea towels damp and frozen can help, move the things she shouldnt have,

the bin raiding, you need to spend time teaching her the bins not to be touched,

shouting no, isnt teaching her, alls it is teaching her is to do it when you arnt around.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never hit them, if they do wrong then just scruff them and a quick shake saying no in a growling voice. If they challenge you then pin them down and roar at them..........once should be enough ;)

As for sheep........if they show inclination to chase put 'em on a long rope and walk them through them, if the dog wants to chase shout no just before they hit the end of the rope and spin them over, they don't know where it comes from. it worked for me

edited to say you can only correct them if you catch them doing wrong, not 2 hours later when you get home

Edited by Wayneb

Hitting mine is not good they are too soft and loose trust. However when they are pulling me (on the bike in traffic, endangering me)and don't answer to my voice I stick out my foot and "kick" them, and they take it seriously and bug off.

L

been working with my lurcher now for a couple of months, and she is a stuborn young cow at times, the word no shouted as loud as possible only deters her for all of two seconds, there is times where i could give her a good slap and reinforce it with a loud no, is this gona do drastic actions.

Just want her to be good, dont mind a bit of bad stuff but some things she has to learn.

You dont say how she is bred,that would give you insight in to how she's thinking.

Also it would help you to deal with it,you can not disciplin a terrier bred lurcher,the same as a whippet lurcher.Whatever the crack she's not listening,please tell me how she is bred?

She is a bedy whippet x collie grey.

thing is i watch her and when she is about to do something wrong she knows it is wrong because i can tell wih her body language, but she dose it anyways and waits for the big no.

Ah! Beddy terrier,collie greyhound.

Stop Shouting NO! think you need to scruff her put her down on the ground,keep eye contact.

Sometimes we have a habit of talking too much and not acting.terrier (bugger off!,collie Ha! bloody ha!).

She does something you shout,she got your attention.Dog doesnt mind whether it's good attention or bad. Sound like the dogs got your number.

Good Luck!

just general chewing shoes, even though i offer her something else and praise her when she chews that, but turn your back and she is back in the shoe rack. taking rubish from the bin, even sussed how to open the flip top bins. just general stuff, all her other training like sit recall, retrieve etc are realy good.

Try caging the pup in the house when you are out, and it knows the meaning of "go to bed" , the pup will be getting its back teeth, put a regular supply of marrow bones in the cage, persist with the training and commands, if the pup annoys you don't hit it, send it to bed, it will soon learn. Pups never forget being hit, get through the training without hitting it will lead to a better relationship not based on fear. If its really bad a gentle tweak of the ear gets response without hitting. Good Luck.

I've had issues with my alsation/grey since I got him- been on streets & in a pound. He hates water so daft as it sounds, I got a water pistol & if he took no notice he got a very stern 'LEAVE IT & blasted with water pistol' he used to raid bins, chew electrics cables, rip stuff apart. Pulls like a steam train on collar- still use halti & short traffic lead with him. I've also used shaker bottle- pop bottle with dried peas in. It's the noise that startles them more than anything.

The saluki is a different kettle of fish- only have to shout NO & she cowers to the floor. I've never hit her- but then she's another stray so havent a clue what happened to her. She cowers at men anyway.

I know dogs need to realise no means exactly that- dont agree with beating a dog- thats my own opinion. There's also dogs that saying 'no' means nothing. Getting by scruff of neck & putting on floor does work & shouldnt need to be done more than a couple of times before dogs accepts who's in charge. We all have our own ways of doing things- I've used rolled up newspapers as well - til he savaged it & started to rip them to bits.

just general chewing shoes, even though i offer her something else and praise her when she chews that, but turn your back and she is back in the shoe rack. taking rubish from the bin, even sussed how to open the flip top bins. just general stuff, all her other training like sit recall, retrieve etc are realy good.

your dog is bored mate thats all you need to do more work with it take it out more keep it bsuy

as for hitting it that is a no no

i got 2 working cockers one 3 years old never been hit ever when he does wrong i take him to were he didi it see if he does it again shout at him and if he or she has brains they want do it again its all time that all

its better to lose one year getting your dog right thah the next 8 or 10 pulling your hair out lol

i think its more a case of WHEN to smack. Seen a lad yesterday smack his dog for being sick in the car(due to being scared, obviously as it wernt use to it) the later smack his other dog for running away while he roared at it for not seeing the quarry as it jumped up ...

A smack is sometimes necessary, or viable, but not as often as some would have you believe..

that lad is one pr..k i say i would love to have a night out with him getting drunk when he is sick i can do the same to him lol

I take my lurcher out everywhere with me doing all aspects of hunting. i was out decoying pigeon at the end of the day i ,let the lurcher retrieve the layed pigeons back to me. the first one he ran off with i followed him for 500yards or so and he continued to run and eat the bird. i eventually got to him and gave him a good thrashing with his leed (harsh i know) he walked to heel back to the hide and retrieved 25 birds one after the other staright to me i now have no bother with him doing this.

Punishment is required in a ballance and at the right times after all the owner is the pack leader and a dog will challange this if alloud

tryt that with a spainel and it will never retrieve again

A correction has nothing to do with breed, what you do it with, age, temperament etc. A correction is just a correction. If the dog understands what it's for, it's not personal, just a correction for a disobedience. A correction of any kind needs to be appropriate for the dogs temperament and level of understanding. You have to start somewhere.

If the dog understands "no" and that it predicts a correction, a "no" will stop the disobedience to avoid a correction. If not, the dog doesn't understand what you're asking or the correction is ineffective/inappropriate for the drive level it's in. If the dog has no experience with a correction, then a smack is just infliction of discomfort with no understanding or opportunity to change behavior- that IS personal and can/will damage the relationship/trust.

Dominance imo is dealt with daily through the things like behaviors for food, controlling itself before being let out of the kennel, being let indoors etc. Control the wants, control the dog. If the dog is in a willing state of mind to get what he needs (attention/food/work/free time), you control the dog and have the power you need. Each dog is different but the way they learn and react to corrections is dependent on the foundation of training, level of correction and expectations at any stage of training.

Just my opinion/experience anyway.

A correction has nothing to do with breed, what you do it with, age, temperament etc. A correction is just a correction. If the dog understands what it's for, it's not personal, just a correction for a disobedience. A correction of any kind needs to be appropriate for the dogs temperament and level of understanding. You have to start somewhere.

If the dog understands "no" and that it predicts a correction, a "no" will stop the disobedience to avoid a correction. If not, the dog doesn't understand what you're asking or the correction is ineffective/inappropriate for the drive level it's in. If the dog has no experience with a correction, then a smack is just infliction of discomfort with no understanding or opportunity to change behavior- that IS personal and can/will damage the relationship/trust.

Dominance imo is dealt with daily through the things like behaviors for food, controlling itself before being let out of the kennel, being let indoors etc. Control the wants, control the dog. If the dog is in a willing state of mind to get what he needs (attention/food/work/free time), you control the dog and have the power you need. Each dog is different but the way they learn and react to corrections is dependent on the foundation of training, level of correction and expectations at any stage of training.

Just my opinion/experience anyway.

:thumbs:

It's basic puppy training. Remove objects that you don't want chewed and allow adequate chewing material whilst the pup is teething, frozen raw butchers bones are good.

Discipline is often not needed if the correct environment and stimulation, both mental and physical are provided.

She is kept in a cage through out night and when we are out, and gets plenty of exersise walked at least twice a day and giving a good run about to tire her out, its not that she is chewing the things for boredom its more something to chew and she likes them, ive tried doing the replace with what she is allowed and praise her when she picks that itemm to chew, been doing the scruff of neck treatment and this works well, done it twice now for her chewing and she is getting alot better, the funny thing is she is my girl and not the wifes so even when she is punished, she comes straight to me afterwards for a cuddle, so i do find it hard to keep with it. Her cage i don't want to use as a punishment bin as she goes there during the day of her own accord to sleep, and now we have peaceful night sleeps as she knows it is a place of comfort. If i start to use it as punishment wont this affect her?? Thing is i have a 6 year old gsd x collie who we have had since he is one, and he learnt everything quickly as in one big no and he never did it again, i think its as ive never had a puppy before so its more me getting used to training from young if you get me. But i will keep going as she is a cracker, her retrieve, recall, stay and sit/down is coming on ace, no matter where i am in house or out in fields a quick whistle followed by here 9 times out of ten brings her flying back only time she don't if she is really excited about some thing, then its just a weird noise we make like a loud eh eh followed by here and she knows she is wrong and comes running back. Her sit is brill if walking and we stop she goes straight to sit now. Her retrieve is getting there will only retrieve in house but soon as in field it is 50/50 if ether she will bring the dummy back or just leave it and come back on her own. So she is a great girl just the chewing of everything in the house.