advice of lenses please...

i have two lenses for my canon a

Canon + 17-85mm IS USM Lens

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/catego...-1123/Show.html

& a Canon EF 75-300mm f4/5.6 USM MK3

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/catego...12278/Show.html

but i have the choice to exchange the 75-300usm mk3 with the lens below.

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/catego...75321/Show.html

I've been told that the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS would give me better performance than the 75-300 & it would be like a combination of the two i already have which will save me the amount of times i have to swap lenses over, also the 18-200 has the equivalent performance of a 35-320 due to the mag is times by 1.5..

can someone please shed some light on this. :wacko:

many thanks..

18-200 is quite a big range, and the lens is not one of the more expensive ones, so at the end of the day I suspect image quality will be compromised. Having said that, it is very handy to have one lens that will cover this range so you don't have to keep swapping lenses. The 17-85 lens is a good 'un, but would also be redundant if you got the 18-200... One advantage would be the image stabilising on the new lens, but you would end up with 100mm less at the long end of the zoom, so you might find yourself missing that 300mm if you're into wildlife photography...

The "crop factor"... read all about it here - linky link No, I don't understand it either... :)

Starting with the last bit Richie, I can't remember which eos you have, but i'm guessing it has a CMOS sensor - this means that the sensor is smaller than the size of (old style) 35mm film. From 5D upwards, the sensors are full frame. This means that the sensor on your eos is nearer to the lens to compensate, so you get more magnification from the lens than you would with an old "film" camera with the same lens.

The 18-200 lens you are looking at is faster (lower F number) than your small lens, and the same speed at the full zoom end. Don't forget though, your 75-300 would have a much bigger magnification on your eos, dont know the figures for the effective zoom.

On a personal note, I have the eos film camera with 28-90, and 75-300 is usm. 28-90 is ok, but i find the 75-300 is very "wooly" in most ranges.

Hope this helps, and if anybody cares to ammend or disagree, i'll just blame it on the Boxing day juice! :drink:

Now that's a lens Mad Al !!!!!!!! "CANON LENS EF 300mm 1:4 L IS on a CANON"

Edited by Fidgety