Im ready for the next level....the FAC

Now then fellas,

I hope you enjoying this seasons shooting!!

I have been the respected owner and the responsible user of a shotgun for 3 years now. I was 18 whe i applied for my SGC and it went rather smoothley.

I have now gone to the next level of sporting skill.....using rifles.

I have, at present, a Weirauch HW100 .177 . It is an amazing airrifle with unbleiveable accuracy. However, for those 'Long shots' and bigger ground vermin (fox) its abit petty.

I have spent many months reading and digesting iformation in regards to an FAC.

I now beleive i have come to the point where an FAC would be beneficial.

The land i have permission on is one 9 hole golf course, an 18 hole golf course and a farm.

Like everybody in this forum, i am quite nervous for the interview. However, i expect that it should be a breeze.

Initailly, i have applied for (sent my applciation off today) a .17hmr with moderator and 22lr with moderator.

The ammunition i opted to posses is 500 hmr and 500 22lr. with 250 to buy at any one time.

If any of you guys have any little tips to help me thorgh the interview then please share them!!!

I hope everything goes well....and wish me luck!

Warm Regards

Anthony

They may not grant the calibres for fox, however, the question of exactly what the "Vermin" condition on an FAC cover is a very grey area.

I consulted my Licensing department not that long ago on the issue and they informed me that they would not be able to prosecute in the majority of cases as the wording is so open and vague.

So I would advise you to contact your licensing department.

Other than that you have a good chance it seems!

Why not put down for a centrefire as well?

A 2 minute conversation I had with my FLO a while back revealed that as far as Kent Police are concerned, fox needs to be specifically stated on your ticket with regards to rimfires of all calibres.

They won't grant 22lr for fox in all but the most unusual of circumstances. So if you're out rabbiting in Kent with a 22lr and see a fox, you are not allowed to shoot it, despite it being almost impossible to class as anything but vermin in a court room.

17HMR can be granted for fox, but again it must be stated on your ticket, Vermin doesn't cover it in their eyes. Obviously centrefire is the preferred choice, but not exclusive. Ultimately, in Kent at least, your ticket and what it says on it has far more relevance than what you've got nestled in your shoulder when it comes to shooting fox. Which is fair enough.

The law is vague, if not a little misleading in places, but good communication with the powers that be should ensure you never get caught out by it.

Good luck with your application Anthony, and although you probably still will be, there's no need to be nervous

Cheers

Steve

Anthony,

Forgot to also say, depending on how far away you live from your nearest gun shop, 500 22lr might not be enough. I started with that amount (600 to hold) but within weeks had it upped to 1000 to buy 1500 to hold. My nearest supplier is 40 minutes away, I get a discount for buying in 1000s and do a lot of shooting. For me it was damn near essential. Obviously if your geographic circumstances are different to mine it may not be such a problem.

Cheers

Steve

beat me to it Dixy :clapper:

Hey thanks for all the info guys! Unfortunatley myapplication has been sent now, however, i will discuss the use of a centre fire with the FEO when he comes for the interview!

Cheers Lads!!

On the ammo front did you ask for expanding???

...and the FOX business is crazy, my region are ok with vermin meaning fox, but my .22LR and HMR specifically list FOX anyway, others regions will not entertain fox with .22LR, etc!!

:thumbs:

Hey thanks for all the info guys! Unfortunatley myapplication has been sent now, however, i will discuss the use of a centre fire with the FEO when he comes for the interview!

Cheers Lads!!

...and the FOX business is crazy, my region are ok with vermin meaning fox, but my .22LR and HMR specifically list FOX anyway, others regions will not entertain fox with .22LR, etc!!

No i didnt ask for expanding....again i beleive this is a 'grey' area. Many FAC holders mentioned they never put expanding because if the reason for using one is Vermin/Pest etc then they automatically allow expanding. Obviously if you put target shooting then expanding will be disallowed on your ticket.

Cheers Lads!!

No i didnt ask for expanding....again i beleive this is a 'grey' area. Many FAC holders mentioned they never put expanding because if the reason for using one is Vermin/Pest etc then they automatically allow expanding. Obviously if you put target shooting then expanding will be disallowed on your ticket.

:clapper::clapper: NEVER assume anything to do with the paperwork or firearms!!! The only animal that requires expanding ammo to shoot legally is deer!!! The FAC application in my area FIR101 specifically asks you to list ammo, including expanding, you wish to buy and hold!! ATB :thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Deker,

mine is the same here in Suffolk very specific.

However my FEO sorted all my paperwork errors out when he visited, lines and crosses through things, added expanding and also increased my purchase/hold as he said my quantities were too low!

So Mr Universe, dont stress too much, have the kettle boiled and have a nice honest chat and ask for advice and help! Low and behold you too will have an aplication form like mine with modifications and crossing outs!!!!!!!

CBW

Edited by cbw