springer

a bloke who i beat with has a B/W springer its tiny about 10 tts and maybe a foot n alf to 2 foot long

really small but flew through cover like nothin ive seen !!!

anyone had a springer this size ?? if so what bloodlines or who bred it ??

and it dosent have a apple head like most springers ive seen quite a narrow snout

curious about this type of dog

any help much appreciated

oh and before any asks its definatlety a full springer because the gamekeeper had the papera for her but didnt pass the papers on

please help

found a dog similar to my mates and the seller says these are in the dogs pedigree

anyone point me in the direction of the pedigree which is responsible for the dogs small size

FTCH Deepfleet Jay. FTC Ragamuffin of Deepfleet. FTCH Clarburgh Art.,FTC Rytex Rod. FTC Roughburn Lark & FTC Readhead Riley

and it says the bitch is from sandringham estate ??

my new discovery of these tiny springers were at pateley bridge near that area lol

Edited by smarty

None of the names mentioned scream out to me small spaniels, not wanting to open a big can of worms here but papers sometimes mean very little there are many cockers out there registered as cockers with ftch parents when there is springer in their lineage and vice versa with the springers, it's a lottery sometimes but it happens and it pays to know the people you deal with when buying a spaniel. Do you know anything else about the dams lines ?

I find it a bit weird the breeder had papers but didn't pass them on ?

Nic

I have a B/W springer dog , 12months old a few days ago, and whilst he is not tiny he is far from big. He has always seemed small to me but I have noticed lots of very big springers around. He is what I would describe as a medium, nice sized springer, not too big and not too small and he destroys cover and ground if game is hiding deep inside it 8) with plenty of pace, drive and style. He was bred by Pete Avery of Deepfleet Gundogs. His sire , Rags , is not a small dog though.

His sire is FTCH Rytex Ragamuffin and his Dam is Bonniemore Summer of Simba. The dams lines go back to lots of Parkbreck ( 4 lines in G G grandparents ) and Rytex ( Kenine Robb, Raffle etc..) and Cressett in the rest.

It is hard to say, as sometimes there may be a smaller pup in a litter but once taken away from the litter it develops in to a adult of similar size to it's litter mates. Sometimes the small one will always be the small one.

The biggest litter of ESS I ever had was out of a smalll bitch to a med dog yet the litter turned out huge, two of them were the biggest Springers I had seen.

Other people with more knowledge of lines, pedigrees etc.. will have more input than myself.

Sadly I am with Nic on this one...a bit of hickory pockery with the wrong breed can produce very big cockers or small springers....

Had a guy recently for a lesson with what I naturally presumed was a black and white (badger) springer..only to be told that it was a blue roan cocker..... :icon_eek: Yeah [bANNED TEXT]

Regards

Kev

lol Kev sad thing is thats more common than not !

Smarty - Regards the comments of 6 weeks old it is the lottery, you could pick the smallest pup and it turns into the biggest adult, I personally am not so hung up on size but like my male dogs to look like dogs and my bitches to look like bitches, I like a big strong dog, not a wirey whippety type,

Nic

i just like the smallish types

and i am not keen on large dogs and dont like the springers with the large heads

i like the head shape of ESS profile picture

just personal preference i think mate

Look on deepfleet gundogs and toonarmy gundogs. They both have small B/W springers.

Guest kelly81
sounds like the lottery !!!

well hopefully i'll win

the dog you are on about is out ot very good field trialing stock thats why it is so small.clarbrugh art was run by ian openshaw and won loads of field trials and was a very small dog