what to do

right, Im probably not the only one that has a weird fascination with skulls, and in my line of work, get to come across my fair share, alot are already skelingtons, but others are fresh, summertime its not so bad as I let the flies/maggots do the work of stripping the outer off, leaving me a skull, but wintertime and of course no flies, last year I burried a fox head, leaving it to nature, but my missus has put a compost bin on the area, and I aint digging that lot up, so have come across another one, so the questions, whats the best way of getting it down to pure bone, boiling it or acid bath, or other means :hmm:

next, fox tails, again have aquired my first one, followed advice from here, and removed the inner tail section, and at present its slipped on a cane in the shed, do I just leave it to dry out, or should I do more with it :hmm:

cheers for any answers

maccerate the skull's. by macceration i mean .dissolve bio logical washing powder in hot water ,put the skull's in the water ,put a lid on the bucket or whatever you use , as the smell get's fockin evil :clapper: i does help if you can keep the bucket in a warm place . preferably as far away from your living quarters as possible. give the skull a week or so and the flesh will have maccerated off. then bleach it ,air dry it,done .you can boil but boiling damages the skull . for the tail get some borax powder from the chemist .put the powder down the insinde of the tail sheath making sure you get it right to the tip of the tail..use that cane you got stuck in it to push the borax in .or alternitively you can pour methylated spirits down the tail sheath making sure it gets right to the tip. if using meths pierce a small hole at the tip of the tail so the meths can flow right threw and not get trapped in an air pocket :o both methods will cure the fox brush .and hair wont fall out,smell ect. ;)

dont know about the skulls, but my fox brushes seem to stay alright aslong as you take the bone out, got a top notch one my mate gave me on top of my telly of a great big dog fox looks like somthing some strange person would stick to there hat

• 2 weeks later...

well the tail got a rinse through with methalated spirits as couldent get borax anywhere, and the head, has another week of soaking to do in the sealed bucket of bio logic washing powdr mix, Ill post a picture of the finished article