fox trap

last week a local fox killed a duck and chicken of ours, but left them where they lay, normally I like foxes, but understand the need for control in certain areas, well he/or she has now crossed the line,

so I was in the works warehouse, picking up a new van of all things, and asked my manager if I could borrow the fox trap, take it he said, I'll be glad if I never see the back of it, it gets in the way :whistling: so always willing to help my manager, I'll make sure he never see's it again...

its rusty, and the do have a newer one, so all ok, got home and checked it over, quite a good design of trap door, just had to put on a new draw cord and pin to release the door, anyway, put it in situ and baited with a rabbit head, I know Im hoping as it needs to be weathered more, but as del always says "he who dares"

so Im fast asleep after getting in from night work, I had told my missus to wake me if we caught anything, we'll she woke me, not with news of a fox, but a magpie, still clenched in her hand, seems there was quite a gathering of them this morning, so I'll have to get the larsen sorted out again

and it was the missus who dispatched it too, dont you just love these yorkshire girls :wub:

You can tell she wasnt a Welsh woman she would have bit the head off :haha: :haha:

Why kill it why not put it in you larsen as your calling bird no its not the right time of year but worth a try

Try putting some soil on the base of the trap charlie doesnt like walking on wire in my experience,how does everyone find the smaller bought traps ,didnt catch nothing in mine till I extended him.

Stubby

Couple of things i would do mate to increase the chances of a catch.....as already mentioned....try bedding the base into the soil a little bit. I would expel the urine from any rabbits i caught into and all over the cage to make it more "attractive" to Charlie........and you may be better off placing it alongside a fence.......or somewhere the fox cannot walk all the way round it. Another point..........it may well be a bin-bag fox.......so household scraps (Chicken carcase) may be a better lure.....!

Good Luck

Rolfe ;)

cheers for the imput guys, having never had the need to trap foxes before, all the advice greatly recieved, I've got the duck and chicken in freezer that it mauled, would these be better baits,

and yup, I would have kept the maggie as a call bird, but I was asleep :(

cheers for the imput guys, having never had the need to trap foxes before, all the advice greatly recieved, I've got the duck and chicken in freezer that it mauled, would these be better baits,

and yup, I would have kept the maggie as a call bird, but I was asleep :(

Yes.........duck and chicken would be perfect to lure Charlie back in.......A white chicken is the best bait of all in my opinion. ;)