What is it like living in England?

Keeping on topic, frosty the UK is a popular destination for americans, we have a whole lot of history here and you guys just love castles and all the medieval jist.. But on the note about britain, our country is an amazing place full of beautiful landscapes and tradition that I'm sure all americans can relate too, its just a shame that the government we live with, seems to tax, tax, tax and these traditions we have won't be around for much longer because of stupid legislation they bring out that affects all of us..

Frosty get yourself a ticket and visit the mothership you only live once, live it :thumbs:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with the young English nowadays is they are in the main lazy!! Always looking to blame immigrants for their woes

Im English and proud to be its the best country in the world Ive never been out of work and have always paid my way I work hard and play hard but the young of today just want it handed to them on a plate bring back national service and stop the dole and all the benefits give teachers back the ability to discipline kids in the class room get rid of all the do"gooders

A spell in the army never did me no harm There is no incentive these days for youngsters to get of their idle backsides and make a life for themselves it seems that most kids these days cannot read or write (you only have to read some of the threads on here) most kids can"t even tie their own shoelaces let alone get a job and fend for themselves

Put them in the army teach them a trade , discipline , give them a reason to get up in the morning get them out on public projects give then some self respect

Give them a lesson in our history teach them about politics it seems that everybody moans about this government but how many of the idle sods actually get out and vote let alone join a political party and advocate change??

here here......best post ive read all day :clapper:

It snows one cm and folks panic, schools shut and nobody goes to work.

Correct.... :clapper: ....you forgot to say though that they also buy all the potatoes, bread and milk from the shops when they see 1cm of snow.

SINDASOX :D

Yep, that's right ... and every last can of lager as well :laugh:

never met a yank i liked yet,mostly loud,crass and over excited,wouldnt want to go there, ;)

That is very true but there are some parts of the US where the people are very laid back. For the most part people from the cities and suburbia have to be loud,crass and over excited in order to survive.

You guys complain that your housing prices are expensive. Ours were just as bad until the housing market crashed over here.

never met a yank i liked yet,mostly loud,crass and over excited,wouldnt want to go there, ;)

That is very true but there are some parts of the US where the people are very laid back. For the most part people from the cities and suburbia have to be loud,crass and over excited in order to survive.

You guys complain that your housing prices are expensive. Ours were just as bad until the housing market crashed over here.

Hey Frosty, do most folk still rent in the US, or are more trying to buy these days? :thumbs:

Hey Frosty, do most folk still rent in the US, or are more trying to buy these days? :thumbs:

The realestate market crashed so its a buyers market. That being said our economy is not doing too great so people dont have money to buy with. If you can afford it it is better to buy but a lot of people cant swing it. The taxes are ridiculous and in some areas near the big cities taxes can be 10,000 a year on a average home. Out in the country things are a lot cheaper but the country is so big that different cultures have developed so there is nothing in common with lets say a person from the north east and someone from North Dakota. The country has no homogeneity and is filled with people from all walks of life and ideologies.

I am also proud to be English :D , I love this country but would like some better weather but you can't have it all :blink: . I can't speak for the rest of the country but up here in the North East we are a friendly bunch with beautiful countryside, historical sites, good food and plenty of drinking goes on :rolleyes: and I am sure you would receive a warm welcome :drinks: . I have been to America twice, the people were nice and it was cheap but that is all I can really say about the place, hope you do visit and enjoy. I think our little island is definately worth the trip :good: .

THE BRITISH AND ARE IRISH COUSINS ARE THE BEST MOANERS IN THE WORLD , WE DOWN CRY EVERYTHING , STARTING WITH THE WEATHER , GET AWAY FROM THE CITYS AND THE LANDSCAPES IN BRITAIN AND IRELAND ARE SECOND TO NONE , WE HAVE LET THE LUNERTICS TAKE OVER THE ASYLEM BUT, THERE STILL TWO GREAT PLACES TO LIVE AND IF YOU ARE PART OF THE HUNTING COMMUNITY YOU WILL 99% OF THE TIME MEET GOOD PEOPLE ;) WE THE BRITS THATS ENG, SCOT,WELSH, AND A LITTLE BIT OF IRELAND DONT GET ON THAT WELL UNTILL SOME EUROPEAN STARTS A WAR THEN WE ALL KICK OFF AS ONE FOR A WHILE IT DOSNT LAST FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE YEARS ,THEN WE GO BACK TO HATING EACH OTHER , IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HEAD ROUND ARE TRIBEL WAYS , AND THAT GOES NOT ONLY FOUR COUNTRYS, TO NORTH AND SOUTH DIVIED AND THEN TO CITYS, YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE ;)

Haha very true mate. I think the average English person gets or very well with the general Irish person. Same sense of humour etc. We're more similar than we like to admit! lol. City people anyway.

Americans be warned, a beer in America means one beer. A beer in Britain and Ireland means a case of beers!!

My family lived in London for a good while back in the 80's, my brother was born there. England was really good to them, they got lots of help when they needed it and were really grateful for it. We were dirt poor back then! But yeah, Britain and Ireland are really good to foreigners, they are getting a little too giving (I speak for Ire anyway) Britain is small, so they need to limit immigration now.

But yeah,

My family say that London is a great place to live - very cosmopolitan and lots of things to do.

My uncle also lives in England, plus an aunt and cousins.

In the country it would be a bit different. Some of the people we met when we stayed there were quite smart aleky about Irish people and Ireland. Making jokey comments but arrogant all the same.

Beware, a lot of English people really dislike Americans.

Generally though, I'd say you'd get on grand. The English rockers are top notch. Went to Download festival a few years back when Sabbath played, the Rockers were high quality. Some nice Mexicans too!

Go to the country as well as the city and see how you like it.

There are good quality dogs in Britain. Not too highly show bred like in America. (Though I know there is so much choice in the US you can get almost anything)

Just watch Little Britain to get to know England! Father Ted and Killinaskully for Ireland! lol

real estate completely depends on the area, the value of a property is almost always COMPLETELY in the land. Mostly anywhere near the coasts is a LOT more expensive than middle America. For example, my sister owns a little 1000 square foot condo in California worth about 600K, no yard, not on the beach or anything, neighbors RIGHT next to her, typical terrace type home. We own a 2500 square foot house in Nevada on 1 1/2 acres, worth 800K 3 years ago, now only worth MAYBE 500K due to the real estate market being softer than shit right now in that area. We bought a 1200 square foot home in Missouri about 3 years ago on 5 acres with a HUGE barn, 2 sheds, fencing, no neighbors, fishing pond etc for 120K, and the value has hardly changed since then.

real estate completely depends on the area, the value of a property is almost always COMPLETELY in the land. Mostly anywhere near the coasts is a LOT more expensive than middle America. For example, my sister owns a little 1000 square foot condo in California worth about 600K, no yard, not on the beach or anything, neighbors RIGHT next to her, typical terrace type home. We own a 2500 square foot house in Nevada on 1 1/2 acres, worth 800K 3 years ago, now only worth MAYBE 500K due to the real estate market being softer than shit right now in that area. We bought a 1200 square foot home in Missouri about 3 years ago on 5 acres with a HUGE barn, 2 sheds, fencing, no neighbors, fishing pond etc for 120K, and the value has hardly changed since then.

Funny how some ares seem to keep the price fairly steady, I guess it's a bit like that here in rural parts of Wales to. We're tempted to buy an additional property in our village,but not before things settle down a little bit more.................if they ever do that is :icon_eek::thumbs: