a few hours out ferreting

stubby

Invited ferreter216 along with me and the missus, to one of the new permissions I aquired over chelmsford way, we started off longnetting the road upto the house, no luck there, but we had done this area just a week ago, so moved across the road to the opposite ditch, good fresh dirt and rabbit droppings, but again, drew a blank there, we re boxed the ferts, when there was a squealing about 20ft out in the field, jack ran to investigate and held up a rabbit :hmm: quickly followed by a weasel running away, but towards us, straight through the net and off into the ditch, Im sure as it ran past me I could hear it muttering "b*****d stole my dinner" :laugh:

as we were moving to the rear of the permission, the owners returned home, offering us coffee, we took the oppotunity to warm up a little in the kitchen, and get some life back in our fingers, we again netted the previously done log pile, mainly as I belived it would still have some in, but seemed there was only one rabbit at home, giving the ferts the run around, without a need to bolt, so we moved the nets a couple of yards to the next warren, and bolted three in quick succession, just as the owner came over for a chat, so he was well impressed, we moved around the field a few more yards to a heavily bushed/tree'd area, and ran a couple of longnets parrell to each other, trying to cover both escape routes, we caught another two here, but lost about six between the nets, but again, the owner had come over for a chat, so has promised to get the tractor out, and cut a 3ft strip as close as possible to the whole perimeter, giving us better access next time, he also gave us full permission to pick anything from the area, so far we have spotted large areas of sloe berries, rosehips, and a walnut tree, too late now, but roll on next year,

also as we were leaving, he's told us that he'll get permission for us from both farms either side of his area :thumbs: , plus has given our contact details to a friend who owns a few paddocks (4 acres) overun with rabbits, couldent have asked for a better day, no end of day pictures, but a few from the beginning

post-5267-1227371896.jpg

post-5267-1227371907.jpg

post-5267-1227371918.jpg

post-5267-1227371932.jpg

Invited ferreter216 along with me and the missus, to one of the new permissions I aquired over chelmsford way, we started off longnetting the road upto the house, no luck there, but we had done this area just a week ago, so moved across the road to the opposite ditch, good fresh dirt and rabbit droppings, but again, drew a blank there, we re boxed the ferts, when there was a squealing about 20ft out in the field, jack ran to investigate and held up a rabbit :hmm: quickly followed by a weasel running away, but towards us, straight through the net and off into the ditch, Im sure as it ran past me I could hear it muttering "b*****d stole my dinner" :laugh:

as we were moving to the rear of the permission, the owners returned home, offering us coffee, we took the oppotunity to warm up a little in the kitchen, and get some life back in our fingers, we again netted the previously done log pile, mainly as I belived it would still have some in, but seemed there was only one rabbit at home, giving the ferts the run around, without a need to bolt, so we moved the nets a couple of yards to the next warren, and bolted three in quick succession, just as the owner came over for a chat, so he was well impressed, we moved around the field a few more yards to a heavily bushed/tree'd area, and ran a couple of longnets parrell to each other, trying to cover both escape routes, we caught another two here, but lost about six between the nets, but again, the owner had come over for a chat, so has promised to get the tractor out, and cut a 3ft strip as close as possible to the whole perimeter, giving us better access next time, he also gave us full permission to pick anything from the area, so far we have spotted large areas of sloe berries, rosehips, and a walnut tree, too late now, but roll on next year,

also as we were leaving, he's told us that he'll get permission for us from both farms either side of his area :thumbs: , plus has given our contact details to a friend who owns a few paddocks (4 acres) overun with rabbits, couldent have asked for a better day, no end of day pictures, but a few from the beginning

post-5267-1227371896.jpg

post-5267-1227371907.jpg

post-5267-1227371918.jpg

post-5267-1227371932.jpg

Glad it worked out ok in the end Steve we worked hard for ours too,that wind was cold wasn't it?All The best Tony.

it was bitterly cold tony, but well worth getting out, am hoping to check out the other new permission sat 6/12/08 which is over near braintree, by all accounts its ideal longnetting ground, if it comes off, Ill see if you guys are free :thumbs: