Fox terriers vs Russels

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough! That explains why my neighbours fox terrier was well able to yap away at my russel at his distance but when he got a nip he didnt know how to take it. Still you cant complain with 150, but the dog wouldnt want to get cornered id say.

not every dog is the same, you get goodens and shitens you get hard dogs you get not so hard dogs :blink:

Having owned smooth foxterriers for about 14yrs I can tell you there was nothing soft about them. I hunted them buggers on every thing from rats to feral pigs. There was one that I bred owned By a holiday park owner he was used to keep vermin numbers down, this dog was grabbed by a dingo who must not have realised what he was doing the foxy escaped the hold then grabed the dingo and was dragged while the dingo tried to make his escape.

( countryboyo the guy owned a jack russell previous to the smooth but it was killed and eaten by the dingo.)

One Bitch I owned was keen as mustered to go to ground but after about a year old she was to big this didnt stop her from trying though she would offten get in a fare way only to be stopped by a tree root or whatever. As far as lacking heart or bottle to mix it up with any game being huntered Ive never heard such rubbish and the more fight in the quarry the more they liked it.

stevemac

Guest ROUGH COATED
I cant see how those fox terriers with their pokey pointy heads would be any good on a badger. I have came across fox terriers and they are all mouth yapping away. I used to walk past one every day with my JRT and the fox terrier would yap yap yap while my jrt ignored him but one day he got too close and when my dog caught a hold of him he took off down the road screeching. There are probably a few good ones but if you compare them to a pat for example the pats chest isnt as deep he has a wider jaw and better back. And as for staffy crosses, you only ever realy see a pat with a small bit of staffy blood in them. maybe 1/4. And whats wrong with crossing breeds and creating your own line. Most lads on here arent into crufts.

what the feck do you know about working dogs to ground the other day you were begging people to take you out digging now your an expert on terriers :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

HA HA HA HA HA :clapper::clapper::clapper:

best dog i ever owned was a foxy, from mice to red stag he done it all.

he had no fear and many hundreds of possums found that out by ending up scragged to bits.

after he died i owned kc reg foxterriers and they didn't lack any thing in the guts department.

the german jagd terrier is about as close you would get to the proper working fox terrier, it being keep to a high working standard through selected breeding.

smooth,wire and the old black and tan being the foundation stock.

Guest Countryboyo
Having owned smooth foxterriers for about 14yrs I can tell you there was nothing soft about them. I hunted them buggers on every thing from rats to feral pigs. There was one that I bred owned By a holiday park owner he was used to keep vermin numbers down, this dog was grabbed by a dingo who must not have realised what he was doing the foxy escaped the hold then grabed the dingo and was dragged while the dingo tried to make his escape.

( countryboyo the guy owned a jack russell previous to the smooth but it was killed and eaten by the dingo.)

One Bitch I owned was keen as mustered to go to ground but after about a year old she was to big this didnt stop her from trying though she would offten get in a fare way only to be stopped by a tree root or whatever. As far as lacking heart or bottle to mix it up with any game being huntered Ive never heard such rubbish and the more fight in the quarry the more they liked it.

stevemac

Just goes to show the difference between kc breeding and worker to worker breeding. Fair play. Id love to see these working fox terriers in action ;)

stevemac

Just goes to show the difference between kc breeding and worker to worker breeding. Fair play. Id love to see these working fox terriers in action ;)

I think the point being made by some of these folks is that some of these KC dogs didn't lack anything. It is safe to say that all fox terriers at this point come from a KC background at some point even if they are being bred as workers.

So a half bred patterdale with a shot of non terrier blood is automatically going to be game because it is bred by working people. Those dogs are always workers no matter what is in them because they were bred by working terrier men.

A fox terrier has a very weak jaw, you can see this when a fox terrier grips a towel and you can swing it around in the air, very weak indeed.

These are myths purported by the so called working terrier breeders so they can sell you a "working dog" I bet for every fox terrier that cant fit in the fox hole there is a patterdale that won't either.

I forgot they are working dogs so their staffordshire shaped bodies magically get smaller as they enter a hole.

I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination that the fox terrier is the ultimate working dog. I am saying they are still terriers that have terrier traits and abilities. Over 100 years of breeding terrier to terrier leaves no where for these traits to go. Genes dont die unless they are purposely bred out. The gene to hunt and kill game is still very much alive in these KC dogs and was never intentionally bred out. Things like coat, shape, ear set, were bred in and out in these dogs, some for the good and some for the bad. Yes a lot of KC fox terriers look like flamingos but there are still some that dont and they are being used in continental europe as hunting dogs. Just like a KC beagle will bay, A KC Labrador will retrieve, a KC pointer will point a KC fox terrier will hunt, some better than others just like your working dogs. Yeah the working dogs have an edge just like a working bred lab and a working bred beagle etc, but the truth is KC dog will and still do hunt and the evidence is in the states with these earth dog clubs that not only have the eartdog tests (which is questionable judgement) but also real hunts that are setup. On this Forum there have been examples of KC dogs working.

please all stop talking shit, dont worry too much about physique, jaw etc worry about attitude and having some arse!! Fox terriers, are you all pissed!!

So a half bred patterdale with a shot of non terrier blood is automatically going to be game because it is bred by working people. Those dogs are always workers no matter what is in them because they were bred by working terrier men.

A fox terrier has a very weak jaw, you can see this when a fox terrier grips a towel and you can swing it around in the air, very weak indeed.

These are myths purported by the so called working terrier breeders so they can sell you a "working dog" I bet for every fox terrier that cant fit in the fox hole there is a patterdale that won't either.

I forgot they are working dogs so their staffordshire shaped bodies magically get smaller as they enter a hole.

I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination that the fox terrier is the ultimate working dog. I am saying they are still terriers that have terrier traits and abilities. Over 100 years of breeding terrier to terrier leaves no where for these traits to go. Genes dont die unless they are purposely bred out. The gene to hunt and kill game is still very much alive in these KC dogs and was never intentionally bred out. Things like coat, shape, ear set, were bred in and out in these dogs, some for the good and some for the bad. Yes a lot of KC fox terriers look like flamingos but there are still some that dont and they are being used in continental europe as hunting dogs. Just like a KC beagle will bay, A KC Labrador will retrieve, a KC pointer will point a KC fox terrier will hunt, some better than others just like your working dogs. Yeah the working dogs have an edge just like a working bred lab and a working bred beagle etc, but the truth is KC dog will and still do hunt and the evidence is in the states with these earth dog clubs that not only have the eartdog tests (which is questionable judgement) but also real hunts that are setup. On this Forum there have been examples of KC dogs working.

please all stop talking shit, dont worry too much about physique, jaw etc worry about attitude and having some arse!! Fox terriers, are you all pissed!!

well said matey give me a patterdale or lakeland type any day of the week :clapping: