help!

Can some one please help, Ive got a 7 month old black lab that im training up to be a gundog but im having a few issues with him, he walks to heel fine and he sits to the whistle and just a hand signal :clapper: but the problem im having is he just wont stay :angry: , im not sure if anyone out there has any tips then im all ears please as im not sure what else i can try without having to go to training sessions, i have trained a springer and a chesapeake before so i have worked with dogs but im just having a few issues with this one, thanks for your time for reading this!!

Can some one please help, Ive got a 7 month old black lab that im training up to be a gundog but im having a few issues with him, he walks to heel fine and he sits to the whistle and just a hand signal :clapper: but the problem im having is he just wont stay :angry: , im not sure if anyone out there has any tips then im all ears please as im not sure what else i can try without having to go to training sessions, i have trained a springer and a chesapeake before so i have worked with dogs but im just having a few issues with this one, thanks for your time for reading this!!

Sit him down,walk away a couple of feet facing him with the up command.If he moves an inch gently place him back on the spot and keep doing it so he gets the idea ,then slowly increase the distance do not move on till he gets the idea.If it takes weeks it takes weeks ..Just gradually increase the distance..Alternatavely walk the dog at heel up him again walk two steps reinforce up command.If he sits when you return loads of praise ...eventually the penny will drop.and you can introduce a little more distance.It is only natutral that he wants to be with you he just got in his head you aint going to piss off ..The more angry you get the more he will not sit and stay as he will pick up on your frustration.If you get a weed on put the dog away and train another day..Battle of wills and you must be the winner lol..

Sit him down,walk away a couple of feet facing him with the up command.If he moves an inch gently place him back on the spot and keep doing it so he gets the idea ,then slowly increase the distance do not move on till he gets the idea.If it takes weeks it takes weeks ..Just gradually increase the distance..Alternatavely walk the dog at heel up him again walk two steps reinforce up command.If he sits when you return loads of praise ...eventually the penny will drop.and you can introduce a little more distance.It is only natutral that he wants to be with you he just got in his head you aint going to piss off ..The more angry you get the more he will not sit and stay as he will pick up on your frustration.If you get a weed on put the dog away and train another day..Battle of wills and you must be the winner lol..

thanks for the advice il give it ago but at the minute i cant even get a couple of feet away from him he just has to follow me everywhere which is frustrating!

thanks for the advice il give it ago but at the minute i cant even get a couple of feet away from him he just has to follow me everywhere which is frustrating!

If you can get a couple of feet and he dont move stay at that distance for a few days and then as you look at him take a pace to your right or left with the up command make him concentrate on your hand and whistle..walk back to him never call him to you then praise..then try one or two paces further then back to the dog...Its boring its repetitive its really frustrating but you got to do it and get it right ,,,Good luck and Patience

If you can get a couple of feet and he dont move stay at that distance for a few days and then as you look at him take a pace to your right or left with the up command make him concentrate on your hand and whistle..walk back to him never call him to you then praise..then try one or two paces further then back to the dog...Its boring its repetitive its really frustrating but you got to do it and get it right ,,,Good luck and Patience

thanks alot for this advice, hmmm patience!

• 1 month later...

Hi, dont want the recognition for this was told me by someone a lot wiser and a lot more experienced than I ever will.

At feed times put the dogs feed between you and the dog, make him stay in sit postion just keep saying stay then after a few mins let him get is food, build the time gradually and the distance he will get the idea, patience is a virtue.

Good luck

Guest davieboy

try it with the lead on, ie walk along, stop then walk away the length of the lead giving him the up command at all times, then try wrapping the lead round his neck and repeat the exercise not going any further than you could with the lead and then finally do it without the lead and start increasing distance as ESS advised if that makes sense

i agree with what the other lads say. but. with some of the hard case dogs ive trained at work i have them sit and drop, turn to face them with you hand showing "stay" with a check chain in it. when the dog moves drop the chain on it and say NO. take it back to the place and tell it stay.

they soon get it.

just thought id add, if the dog is nervous dont use this method!

Guest davieboy

i think there is a place for check chains, as long as used correctly,

i dont think lampinglurcher was suggesting the dog gets beaten with it, just used as a aid so the dog ascociates an action of improper behaviour with a consequence, similar to the use of a shaker bottle with a jumpy dog or a set of discs for a dog that wont wait to be told it can take his food.

1 of my dogs was a bugger to train to stay, i too couldn't get more than a couple of feet away before she moved. The method that worked for me is exactly the same as ess explained, however i did it to the side of her instead of in front. For some reason this seemed to work almost instantly, i don't think she thought i was going to go anywhere when i just stepped to the side. Might work. Good luck. Practice makes perfect!

1 of my dogs was a bugger to train to stay, i too couldn't get more than a couple of feet away before she moved. The method that worked for me is exactly the same as ess explained, however i did it to the side of her instead of in front. For some reason this seemed to work almost instantly, i don't think she thought i was going to go anywhere when i just stepped to the side. Might work. Good luck. Practice makes perfect!

this is good advice hannah!!alot of dogs find the whole thing of directly walking away from the front a fear of leaving them!

i find that if you step to the side giving the stay command and gradually do a circle around your dog all the time reasuring the stay command and gradually increase the circle making the space a little wider a little at a time,to the dog you havent directly walked away or gone to far but you have gradually got the distance from your dog!

hope this helps!

Terrible advice Lampinglurcher.No owner or trainer of gundogs should even own a check-chain, let alone drop it on, or any where near your best friend.Well done ESS, our relationship with our working dogs is based on trust not fear.
 Sorry Holland, I can't agree with your comment that a trainer shouldn't even own a check chain. Check chains are a perfectly acceptable tool for training, although dropping one on a dog isn't really a method I'd support. The advice already posted about placing the dog in front of you and taking a single step back, returning the dog GENTLY to the exact spot and repeating the process as many times as necessary is spot on. Keep your voice gentle and the very instant you feel yourself getting annoyed stop for the day. I've had lots of success with this approach, some dogs pick it up straight away and some take bloody ages - but they all get it in the end - AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER. I've just started training a pair of Chocolate Labs and I'm hoping that the stories I'm hearing about them being difficult to train aren't true. Anyone trained a Choc?  Edited by NowYourStalking