A question about fox killing

If the ground was closer to a poultry farm or sheep farm etc then I would control or someone would control the foxes next door, but as you say, this ground wasn't.

I leave a lot of foxes go on the Arable land I shoot Pigeons on, because a) they eat all the carrion I leave there along with the Buzzards and other Birds of Prey B) they control the Rabbits which then don't go on to eat the crop, and c) they control the mice and rats for the same reason.

I have one piece of Ground which is a chicken farm, next door is cattle, but I still control the ones next door as there is that chance.

SS :thumbs:

Edited to add, one thing I cant accept LabsnLurchers is about the healthy fox population, a fox with poor instincts doesn't stop it raiding hen houses if you see what I mean.

ss i dont see what you mean? a fox with poor instincts is far more likely in my opinion to raid a hen house because it is not clever or skillful enough to get its food from the wild where its supposed too and if it breeds its offspring will do the same....jmo

Just meant that a fox be it healthy or ill can do damage and that its not easy to define either when trying to control a fox after an event like a hen house raid(sounds like the flying squad :laugh:) :thumbs:

oh i see, yeah i agree. perhaps in these cases a gun is more selective method as it gets the one thats there, doing the damage BUT in general control of the fox population using dogs would be more suitable imo just a shame its not legal anymore

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive seen it, they are a pain when a ewe is lambing with twins, she goes down to have her second and sometimes the first wanders a bit, bleating attracts the fox and bobs your uncle, twin down to single. also in the first couple of days of the lambs life if it gets seperated from its mother it will bleat and attract fox. Go in the field at lambing time and get a lamb call to play, see what happens, then you will know what farmers suffer with, i bet there will be close on double figures looking at you.

ive seen it, they are a pain when a ewe is lambing with twins, she goes down to have her second and sometimes the first wanders a bit, bleating attracts the fox and bobs your uncle, twin down to single. also in the first couple of days of the lambs life if it gets seperated from its mother it will bleat and attract fox. Go in the field at lambing time and get a lamb call to play, see what happens, then you will know what farmers suffer with, i bet there will be close on double figures looking at you.

A friend of mine and I did that once LnL, I was just amazed, it was a farm which was lambing early, over about 20 something acres, there was 9 foxes looking at me!!

And this was ground which the foxes are shot on, I couldn't believe just how much pull the young lambs had, I mean I've seen an increase in foxes when its lambing as does anyone else, but never that many.

Incredible.

SS :thumbs:

Anyone who kills game that can be eaten, be that rabbits, pigeons, Deer or whatever and leaves it to lay anywhere is totally out of order IMHO.........the simple rule in my book is, if your not going to make use of it then dont kill it.

Now with fox control, well some lads permission ranges far and wide and IF these folk happen to have anything to do with livestock or game shoots then the chances are they will kill it.........dont blame em, old habits die hard.

Its my opinion, but I think some keepers dont kill half as much as they should...........and if that dont get my army of devoted fans screaming from the rooftops, nothing will.

It not meant to wind folk up either, its my honest opinion.

The point in this thread is that these foxes are NOT predating lambs, piglets, gamebirds etc. I'm aware that foxes do all of the things mentioned..i just dont agree with them being shot for purely living. I think its wrong. If you need to shoot them..at the very least dispose of their bodies in a humane manner.

How i see it is like this.......

Farmer has givien me permision to shoot foxes. (there is a reason for this)

I will then shoot the foxes on the land. I will not think about how cruel, how weak it is, etc.....

I believe shooting them is far to easy, and all my fox killing use to be with the dogs, but hey ho!!!

Fox's will then be removed as per usual.

The point in this thread is that these foxes are NOT predating lambs, piglets, gamebirds etc. I'm aware that foxes do all of the things mentioned..i just dont agree with them being shot for purely living. I think its wrong. If you need to shoot them..at the very least dispose of their bodies in a humane manner.

if they're living then they're breeding, if they're breeding then the population is growing and if the population is growing then it needs controlling responsibly in order to protect the other wildlife in the habitat even if there are no lambs or game birds or chickens etc.

I will then shoot the foxes on the land. I will not think about how cruel, how weak it is, etc.....

I believe shooting them is far to easy, and all my fox killing use to be with the dogs, but hey ho!!!

:clapper: exactly my point, there was no thought to this when hunting with dogs was banned, no one who shoots a fox thinks 'ah that one looks healthy, ill leave it alone' and why should they? the government and antis wanted it this way and this is the way they got it now they have to live with it, i'm not losing no sleep over a few foxes.

Hmmmm..but surely they fit into the British countryside and will live by the same rules as Badger (whoch obviously arent allowed to be killed) and survival of the fittest in rural areas (urban foxes are completely different) would happen anyway. Sorry, i just have a problem with killing something for no good reason. To my mind, that fox today was killed purely and utterly because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

At risk of sounding like a bunny hugger..i hate killing purely for the sake of it..as i said before i have no problem with foxes on the estate where my husband shoots being taken out, i have seen the damage they do, but i hate this type of shooter who kills and then walks off..or worse..wounds..and then walks off. :angry:

:clapper: exactly my point, there was no thought to this when hunting with dogs was banned, no one who shoots a fox thinks 'ah that one looks healthy, ill leave it alone' and why should they? the government and antis wanted it this way and this is the way they got it now they have to live with it, i'm not losing no sleep over a few foxes.

Clapper, fair point..the governement and the antis have not improved anything..quite the reverse. I just personally couldnt kill for killings sake. We eat what is shot..pigeons, rabbits etc..i would shoot something that was causing a problem, within the realms of the law of course, but would i go along to the farm where i take the dogs (we have permission to shoot there too) and take out a fox..no...neither would my husband..if he sees the foxes at the farm he leaves them well alone.

Hmmmm..but surely they fit into the British countryside and will live by the same rules as Badger (whoch obviously arent allowed to be killed) and survival of the fittest in rural areas (urban foxes are completely different) would happen anyway. Sorry, i just have a problem with killing something for no good reason. To my mind, that fox today was killed purely and utterly because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

At risk of sounding like a bunny hugger..i hate killing purely for the sake of it..as i said before i have no problem with foxes on the estate where my husband shoots being taken out, i have seen the damage they do, but i hate this type of shooter who kills and then walks off..or worse..wounds..and then walks off. :angry:

fox living by the same rules as the badger? well as most people know the badger is currently vastly over populated and causing a number of problems for people from many walks of life (and if the fox wasnt controlled it would do the same) and is currently undergoing a cull in wales, i belive prevention is better than cure.

i do agree with you in terms of the way a fox is shot is important and dont believe any hunter should leave a wounded animal if at all possible BUT we see things from a different angle on the reasons for controlling fox, its not just a case of livestock or game bird preservation, its a matter of habitat preservation in order for ALL wildlife to have a place in the countryside and with regards to fox, it was a far more succesful job that was done pre ban imo.

Foxes can actually help some landowners, at the stables, liveries and Stud farms they help to keep the rabbit down (which dig holes and horses break their legs in)...BUT BUT BUT they are a big problem on the whole to most landowners and if you clear the land where they cause a problem you have to clear it next door as well or they just come back....No such thing as a fox in an area where he isn't causing a problem..they are not familiar with man made boundary's, they move around, especially if you have just removed the resident fox!!