fireworks

i know this has been on before,but i make no apologies for bringing it back up,there must be thousands of dogs terrified of the noise from fireworks,even if you think your dogs are quiet,may be they are SUFFERING QUIETLY ,trembling and not making noise for fear of owners punishments,cursing etc;Is there anything available over the counter at health shops/chemists that is effective and that really calms dogs down,i know some ingredients to look out for are valerian and skullcap,can anyone reccommend a specific product,and price,this year has not been as bad firework wise but it seems the isolated bursts of noise now startle the dogs more,

Higgins.

I can hear fireworks going off as i type which suprises me because theres a monsoon outside and you'd have to be a few tinnies short of a six pack to be out in that! :laugh:

My dog however is cool as a cucumber sprawled out on sofa asleep! :D Fireworks have never bothered him fortunately. :clapper:

Had to use tranqs on my old working cocker, loved gun shots but not fireworks.

The only way to cure a dog is to condition it to the noise, ask your vet as they will be able to lend or hire you a cd with fireworks on, play it very quiet to start with then increase the noise over a period of a few weeks.

It takes time but does work. In the mean time a crate with a blanket over the top to make the dog feel secure, also radio or tv on to drown out the noise.

The only way to cure a dog is to condition it to the noise, ask your vet as they will be able to lend or hire you a cd with fireworks on, play it very quiet to start with then increase the noise over a period of a few weeks.

It takes time but does work. In the mean time a crate with a blanket over the top to make the dog feel secure, also radio or tv on to drown out the noise.

rying all the

thanks for that Jembo,trying all the usual tactics,the cd you mention i have heard of one called scary sounds is this the same one the vets will hire,as i have heard you can buy it possibly from Ebay,

Higgins?

rying all the

thanks for that Jembo,trying all the usual tactics,the cd you mention i have heard of one called scary sounds is this the same one the vets will hire,as i have heard you can buy it possibly from Ebay,

Higgins?

Thats w we have done with our 3, 2 of them are fine now but my Jack russel x corgi just can't get used to them, I feel sorry for him because he is absolutely petrified and is shaking, I hate fireworks :angry:

rying all the

Higgins?

Thats w we have done with our 3, 2 of them are fine now but my Jack russel x corgi just can't get used to them, I feel sorry for him because he is absolutely petrified and is shaking, I hate fireworks :angry:

i hate the noise of fireworks,looks like i will have to get the cd and play it all year round,it seems the only way to desentisise the dogs to the noise,thanks,

Higgins.

bloody fire works should only be sold for big displays not the genreal public and it should only happen on november 5th, had to bring one of the lurchers in last night he got in to a bit of a state, pain in the ass fireworks are !!!!!

My lurcher bitch was shaking last night.She was lying on the bathroom floor most of the night.I used to use a pill called ACP (sure it was that?)when i kept greyhounds a quarter of the pill and the were only small,slowed it down in its trials.A half would sedate it totally.I wouldnt giuve them to an older dog though.Aye fireworks should be banned other than displays.I was actually going to go out last night and smack the wee b*****ds o the jaw.I might very well do it tonight if i get a repeat performance :realmad:

im lucky none of my dogs bother ,it maybe because our household is a very noisy one even the ferrets dont care , ive done that much drilling and modifying of their sheds while they are in it . its best to get them used to loud bangs and noises when they are pups

Diazepam 5mg is the best thing for fireworks..the dog can still move around but tends to sleep deeply, prior to Diazepam, ACP was used..this is a heavy sedative that makes the dog wobbly and disorientated, its now thought that this makes them more fearful. I also use DAP spray and on the two that are badly affected Zylkene..a milk protein food supplement..has worked a treat this year and last.

Diazepam 5mg is the best thing for fireworks..the dog can still move around but tends to sleep deeply, prior to Diazepam, ACP was used..this is a heavy sedative that makes the dog wobbly and disorientated, its now thought that this makes them more fearful. I also use DAP spray and on the two that are badly affected Zylkene..a milk protein food supplement..has worked a treat this year and last.

ACP is not recommended by vets anymore as it makes animals more sensitive to noise and because they are sleepy and legs wobbly they get more frightened as they cant get away from the noise.