heat in a kennel

Guest hunterside

my dad has under floor heating rods with double glazed kennel windows raised wooden floors with cavity insulation unnder neath the heated layer and sleeping boxes , he beds on shavings for his terriers and whippets

spot on plenty wood shavings it helps when yer dogs are a little damp shavings draws it away .

Can I ask whats the difference between an American and a Japanese Akita?

For one the Japanese Akitas are radio active. :icon_eek:

IMO if you are serious about working terriers you should not put heat on them when in the kennel. A working terrier makes his living in extreme conditions and should be prepared for those temperatures. I have visited several kennels that the dogs live in 0 Fahrenheit for weeks during the winter. They are usually fed wet and have very tight housing allowing them to stay comfortable. If I lived in those conditions and had a proper kennel I might heat it to 35 Fahrenheit just to keep the water from freezing. Other wise I put a lamp on/or bring a dog in that has been worked so his body concentrates its energy on healing generally for the first 72hrs, as I find a dog heals quicker in warmer temps.

Edited by STUNTMAN

i built a concrete garage up in my garden with runs running of it with hatches and when they enter they have inside run and a terrier box to jump in just big enough for them ...inside run has full of shavings on floor and also terrier box as well with lighting but no heating at all.. only if injured

• Like 1

Mine kennel is dry and draught proof, bedding is thick straw in winter and vet bed in summer. I do have a heat lamp as said before for injured dogs and pups.

End of the day there animals with a coat for a reason there built to live outside, just as long as its dry and no drafts then its fine. People think there doing the dogs a favour keeping them warm but they won't get a good coat on them and will feel the cold more whilst out working, especially if there wet waiting for the next drive to start etc.

i built a concrete garage up in my garden with runs running of it with hatches and when they enter they have inside run and a terrier box to jump in just big enough for them ...inside run has full of shavings on floor and also terrier box as well with lighting but no heating at all.. only if injured

sounds a bit like my set up -- but mines a 16 x 12 wooden shed .. 6 ft corridor and 6 x 4 inside and outside runs ... mine get radio 5 24/7 ...

I've never heated or cooled my working dogs, and I think they're better for it. In winter time I use wooden dog houses with relatively small openings and stuff them full of straw. Straw is the warmest bedding, and I've never found any dogcicles yet LOL. Recently I got a dog that appears to have a bit of an allergy to straw (she got little red bumps on her belly when I used it for her bedding) so I switched her to wood shavings and added a windblock and a rubber flap for a door. here's a pic below.

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9032.jpg

Edited by KawValley

I read alot of posts on heat Lamps when we had the cold spell.

My lurcher is almost 7 months old. When he was a pup he lived indoors with a kennel for the daytime.

When we had the really cold spell Jan/Feb and the snow he was about 4/5 months old and decided he wanted to sleep outside :-0

He just stopped coming indoors.

He isn't a thick coated lurcher - He is Sal/Whip/Grey.

The only bedding in his kennel is shredded cardboard about 6 inches thick and kennel is raised 3 inches off floor.

I recently got a 3 year old JRT bitch who refuses to use her own kennel and shares with the lurcher. So I reckon they are pretty warm.

I'm in the process of getting a 7x5 shed and I'm going to put the kennel in there for extra shelter in bad weather.

I think dry and draft free is the key.

Gaz.