Snared coyotes

Test post to see if pic's will post here. This was 80 some of 120 or so a friend and I snared and trapped a few years back. Most were snared in deer wintering areas where the eastern coyote " Actually a coyote/ wolf cross!" does his damage to deer already stressed out from the cold, poor feed and deep snow.

CoyoteDscn0063.jpg

I'm not a midget, That's my grandson on the snow sled!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! It was an addiction that snaring! ANTI's got the wildlife department running scared. So many law suits that the department caves in to them rather than manage the wildlife like it should be. Hopefully next winter will see the return of the coyote snaring. --I hope!

Dont tell us that the snare is banned in your parts

39 out of the 50 states have some sort of snaring. Some even banned traps altogether, but allow snaring.

Maine where I live would only allow us to snare coyote to help out the depleted deer herd in parts of the state. General snaring even for rabbit was stopped years ago here. For what reasons I don't know.

These coyote showed up here back in the late 50's. By the mid 70's they were wide spread and hammering the deer herd. Fox nearly disapeared, bobcat populations are only lately making a comeback. The late 50's was the end of bounties that were paid for bear, bobcat and porcupine. Wolves had long been wiped out. Alot of talk about bounties on these coyote through the years, but the state wouldn't budge.

In the northern part of this state snarers had a bigger population of coyote, Many of them would pick up 100 or so in a 2 to 3 months. One trapper told of one spot that was about 100 meters long that he would get 25 to 35 coyote year after year.

Mutch like a fox, but more leary and suspicious..

Guest midnight_runner
Test post to see if pic's will post here. This was 80 some of 120 or so a friend and I snared and trapped a few years back. Most were snared in deer wintering areas where the eastern coyote " Actually a coyote/ wolf cross!" does his damage to deer already stressed out from the cold, poor feed and deep snow.

CoyoteDscn0063.jpg

I'm not a midget, That's my grandson on the snow sled!

thats what you call a bag well done [bANNED TEXT]

What sort of weight did these coyote/wolf crosses go to Hornhunter.They must have gone quite heavy as i beleive that in parts of america and canada coyotes can go to 50-60 pounds :icon_eek: .

What a thing to snare,you lucky sod hornhunter.Can i ask what sort of prices are you fetching for those lovely looking pelts?

P.S,ime not sure of weights of coyotes and i could have them all wrong :blink:

Your right about the weight. Eastern pups can be in the 30lb range come fall. Some of those in the picture went over 50lbs. There have been some that go over 80lbs. recorded. Still the average would be in the high 30 lb range.

A True western coyote rarely reach 40 lbs. and are all much the same coloration. The eastern have differnt colors. Anywhere from black to white and every combination in between. just like the wolf, You'll notice in the pic the yellow colored ones.

If you averaged $25 U.S. for your coyote last year you did good. Had a couple that went around $40. This year they have gone up in price some. Mine will be in the May sale in Canada.

Dont you fancy a week or two over hear on our red fox and shoot some Roe deer next season.Then maybe i could have a trip over there

We may have a deal :good:

Lets see first if we get our snaring back. if so it would be winter snaring and you'd be traveling by snow sled. We do trap for them from around October 15th until the first of November. you can trap up until the last day of December, but my son and I pull the traps and go deer hunting.

In 9 days last fall we took 22 and released two fox. Some years we only get half that amount. It's all woods trapping along logging roads. Alot depends on what the coyote is eating and if he;s traveling the roads.

There are several hound hunters in the area. Their luck is spotty. A good season depends on deep snow. If it's deep the dogs can run them down quite easy. trick is to get around in front. Grab the tired hounds and set a couple fresh ones on the trail.

Crust or icy snow chews up a dogs feet fast as I'm sure you know. Conditions have to be right for a good season. This winter was a bust . All ice and crust. Some of these hunters get as many as 35+. This year I doubt they harvested even a few.

Not sure of the hound breeds they use. I'll ask and post later.

Shiped one of these yellow ones to the auction a few years ago. Got the grand total of one Dollar. They are worth more now, Quessing in the teens?