Snared coyotes

All my fingers and toes are crossed that you get the snaring back.I was wondering on what grounds are they trying to *** snaring Hornhunter????...

I think that snaring over hear in England isnt to many years from being banned.Theres far too many do gooders chipping in with there two penneth worth trying to say how cruel snaring is.......

How much would a *** effect your catch rate Hornhunter.Could you manage with foot holds or would you really struggle to take the number of coyotes that you do now?????

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you fancy a week or two over hear on our red fox and shoot some Roe deer next season.Then maybe i could have a trip over there

We may have a deal :good:

Lets see first if we get our snaring back. if so it would be winter snaring and you'd be traveling by snow sled. We do trap for them from around October 15th until the first of November. you can trap up until the last day of December, but my son and I pull the traps and go deer hunting.

In 9 days last fall we took 22 and released two fox. Some years we only get half that amount. It's all woods trapping along logging roads. Alot depends on what the coyote is eating and if he;s traveling the roads.

There are several hound hunters in the area. Their luck is spotty. A good season depends on deep snow. If it's deep the dogs can run them down quite easy. trick is to get around in front. Grab the tired hounds and set a couple fresh ones on the trail.

Crust or icy snow chews up a dogs feet fast as I'm sure you know. Conditions have to be right for a good season. This winter was a bust . All ice and crust. Some of these hunters get as many as 35+. This year I doubt they harvested even a few.

Not sure of the hound breeds they use. I'll ask and post later.

Shiped one of these yellow ones to the auction a few years ago. Got the grand total of one Dollar. They are worth more now, Quessing in the teens?

i got a coyote pelt sent over a few weeks back, lovely thing , the fur is very deep and soft , its in my den along with a few more "exotics"

i had a trip to the states a few years back ,saw some coyotes about 400 yards away next to a lake ,as soon as the truck stopped , they were off, i was hoping to get some pics , but only managed a couple of long range, had a "hunt "with my sister in laws 2 pitbulls one night , i had a coyote run past me within kicking distance, just stood there with my mouth open, forgot all about the camera in my hand.

she lives in oregan , loads of racoon and nutria dead on the roads, the trip was not a complete failure from a hunting point of veiw ,we did manage to catch and kill a very large possum,

Here's what a friend of mine said about hounds for coyote hunting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al iam checking out your snare tapes they could make an outlaw out of me pretty easy. i run all english walker fox hounds on coyotes. running walkers are use the most to hunt coyotes they are more streamline, good speed and can run for hours at a fast pace. the dogs should be able to run 5 min. behind the coyote if the dogs run too far behind its hard to kill the coyote. some hunters use treeing walkers but these type of dogs are alot slower and can,t run all day. these would be blueticks, black&tans, redbones and plotts.they are called tree hounds but are use to run coyotes also.

Here's what a friend of mine said about hounds for coyote hunting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al iam checking out your snare tapes they could make an outlaw out of me pretty easy. i run all english walker fox hounds on coyotes. running walkers are use the most to hunt coyotes they are more streamline, good speed and can run for hours at a fast pace. the dogs should be able to run 5 min. behind the coyote if the dogs run too far behind its hard to kill the coyote. some hunters use treeing walkers but these type of dogs are alot slower and can,t run all day. these would be blueticks, black&tans, redbones and plotts.they are called tree hounds but are use to run coyotes also.

alright hornhunter i no nothing on coyotes but was wondering if you think any kind ov lurcher cross could tackle them thanks redminshaw meant to say on the lamp or beating them to lurchers like foxing cheers

I think that snaring over hear in England isnt to many years from being banned.Theres far too many do gooders chipping in with there two penneth worth trying to say how cruel snaring is

Same here! They have huge funds behind them. Bring so many lawsuits that the Federal and state governments are locked up in court battles all the time.

They sing the cruel song here also. They tried hunting, but have given up on that and are after the trapping, snaring, houndhunting and catch and release fishing. Bow hunting they are supposed to attack next we hear.

Snares are by far the best method of taking these coyote, Traps would be a close second with hunting them with hounds as the third best way, Hunting over bait isn't very productive. Lot of woods here. They circle around get your odor and gone. More open country like out west hunters have a better chance.

This year We tried to get the state to let us trap in the winter deer yard. But the Federal Biologist was afraid we might catch a protected lynx?

Two brothers in New Bruswick "Known as the twins" last winter trapped over a 100 coyote just by setting traps in the deer trails. In deep snow coyotes walk the trails rather than wade the snow. Just picture a path maybe 2 ft deep. Bury the trap in the snow, place a small tree over the trap high enough so the deer steps over, but the coyote ducks under. Our deer are about 3ft or so at the shoulders.

If you want to really see some huge catches of snared coyote You should check in western Canada. It's amazing the amount of coyote they can produce.

Lurcher? Is that a dog that is used to run an animal down and kill it.

yes it is [bANNED TEXT] have you seen boar dogs pig hunting i think some ov the dogs on there maybe able to do the job not that i no anything on coyotes how fast are they can you call them in close what kind of land do you hunt big open fields i would be interested to no they look a real good animal to hunt with those crosses if they would be capable good hunting [bANNED TEXT]

Horblower hey! Some of these hounds catch up and kill the coyote, Somtimes the coyote woops their a$$ and sends them packing. I haven't heard of using what you call a lurcher, But then i'm not a houndmen either. Just know quite a few that hunt with them.

This land is all woods. very little open land like fields. There were, but people moved out and the forest reclaimed it.

In the west they do train eagles to catch and kill coyote. Their coyote are a bit smaller than the eastern breed.This is what the country looks like. Hardwood near the house, but softwood country just north. lots of hills.

Img_0216.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Hornhunter,you ever encounter Cougar or Bear?Ever hunted either of them?I was supposed to be doing a guided bowhunt for one of them this year in either the states or Canada,but domestic stuff overrode the plan(still going fishing in Thailand though :yes: )hope to book for the 2007 season now :good:

Mackem, In my youth bears were thick here. There was no limit or season on the number you could shoot. A $15 dollar bounty was paid for each. The bounty ended in the late 50's After they became a game animal they were thinned out quite well in my area. The best hunting is in Northern Maine. Still lots of bears. If your interested I can give you the name of one outfitter up north that is honest and will work to get you a bear.

There are outfitters that are as crooked as the day is long. So you do have to be carefull.

Cougar sitings are rare. I've never seen any, but a couple friends have. I've shot a few bear in my day, Biggest weighed over 360 dressed out. Live weight would have made him around 400lbs.

Thanks for that Hh,would appreciate the outfitters details :yes: Coincidental that you mentioned Maine,I had earmarked 2 guiding services,one was Black Bay Outfitters in Saskatchewan with an excellent track record of P&Y sized bears,the other was a Maine outfit Foggy Mountain Guide Service who operate out of Sebec,Maine.Downloaded the Fish and Game statistics,Maine has a black bear population of approx 24000 :good: .

As I said,it will have to be the 2007 season now,I had the funds and the wife was in full agreement :realmad: :nono: :realmad: :realmad: ...............That she NEEDED a new kitchen!!Yup,its good that a man wears the trousers in his own house :kiss: :black eye: :(