young hopefulls

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patterdale .. needs to be entered ,4 half months old in pic he is now 9months old , need someone to show me the ropes . anyone willing to let me come out on some digs give me and my patt some experience !! .. cheers :thumbs:

I wouldn't enter him at 9 months mate, way too young. If you get someone to take you, chain him up and let him have a look, let him have a rag once it's been shot.

patterdale .. needs to be entered ,4 half months old in pic he is now 9months old , need someone to show me the ropes . anyone willing to let me come out on some digs give me and my patt some experience !! .. cheers :thumbs:

I wouldn't enter him at 9 months mate, way too young. If you get someone to take you, chain him up and let him have a look, let him have a rag once it's been shot.

ok cheers mate what age do you think is best to enter him .. just got to find some one willing anuff to take me out now !..

I didn't start mine until he was about 18 months old. Some people won't let them anywhere near a hole until they're 2 years old. All depends on the dog I suppose and when you're confident enough that the dog is ready for it.

We're at the arse end of the season now anyway, so just wait until next season, hopefully by then you will of linked up with someone who will be willing to take you along with them to show you how its done.

What ever you do, don't get over eager and do something you'll end up regretting with the dog.

I didn't start mine until he was about 18 months old. Some people won't let them anywhere near a hole until they're 2 years old. All depends on the dog I suppose and when you're confident enough that the dog is ready for it.

We're at the arse end of the season now anyway, so just wait until next season, hopefully by then you will of linked up with someone who will be willing to take you along with them to show you how its done.

What ever you do, don't get over eager and do something you'll end up regretting with the dog.

ok thanks mate . i think i will take some ratting up until next season should be fun for me and the dog , hopefully i will find someone . thanks for your information mate ! .. cheers ..

8.5 months old. He always comes with us, mostly to excercise and get used to the feeling. Have met several (but not too much) dead foxes and badgers (in Hungary badger digging is allowed) and have met 2 live foxes. One he had only barking from like 20 cms and the next (after about 2-3 weeks, in the age of 6.5-7 months of age) he barked from closer with a good strong voice, bayed it a bit and than after some minutes he grabbed the muzzle of the fox. The fox didn't attack back for our luck. Since then he only met - and apported - a little rabbit living under the ground. Once he has shot into a badger set right after my older bitch (pulled his lead off my hand) and I've heared both of them barking at the badger. After a while he appeared and I took him off. He was ready to go back. ;-)

Both his parents are mixers.

P1010163.jpg

P1010306.jpg

P1010156.JPG

Anna

Edited by Panna
It looks to me that your patterdales in UK are pretty "big" terriers. What are your terriers normal high? About 38 - 45 cm ( i think)?? Also your dogs chest look very large, does they have any proplems to fit in holes??

Bit of a sweeping statement there fella, it's more a case of each to there own, we have a very varied landscape in the UK.

Heres a pic of my Patty, far from large atjust under 12"

post-30866-1234413049_thumb.jpg