Double muscled whippets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are whippets the only breed wae this mutation?

i take it the gene cant be inherited by a cross?

Read this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin

Taken from the above link

This particular mutation was not found in other muscular dog breeds such as boxers and mastiffs, nor was it found in other sighthounds such as greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, or Afghan hounds. The authors of the study suggest that myostatin mutation may not be desirable in greyhounds, the whippets' nearest relative, because greyhound racing requires more significant endurance due to the longer races (900 meters for greyhounds vs. 300 meters for whippets).

here is a 'bully' whippet with 2 copies of the double muscle gene

post-22007-1225150423.jpg

whos dog is that?

in my opinion that is wrong.

just my opinion tho

lol! its called wendy, im not sure who owns her though, got the photo off a website i was looking at. This is a welfare issue.... BUT there is no way of 100% telling if the dog/bitch you breed from without dna/genetic testing carries the gene so it is possible for it to be no ones fault.

The prevalence of it among whippets appears to be a relatively recent phenomenon in the evolution of dogs, caused by selective breeding and the more breeders select for speed the more common it becomes as double muscled are faster than 'wild'. Also there is on bully whippet that raced and it was in grade A so it is quite a significant difference in speed.

Tend to find a "bully" whippet cannot stick the pace and is slower than the half/half whippets. There have been a few in the racing and for the majority 150yds is just too far for them and they will drop off behind at about 80-100yds. Bully's can also tend to be more susceptable to cramps, the same amount of blood as a non-bully trying to carry the same amount of oxygen around two or three times more muscle cells.

Note: Not to be confused with Bull x Ghd or Bull x Whippet.