Discovery buying help

hi make sure timing has been done or budget for it,loads of money at a dealer if you cant do it yourself, they also rot out at the rear floor, have a good look underneath, steering swivels etc,

check for rot between the rear wheelarches and the rear floor and above fuel tank.

blackfell

hi make sure timing has been done or budget for it,loads of money at a dealer if you cant do it yourself, they also rot out at the rear floor, have a good look underneath, steering swivels etc,

check for rot between the rear wheelarches and the rear floor and above fuel tank.

blackfell

Thanks alot Blackfell looking at it today will have a good look for the evil rot!

ROT...look up each sill espeacialy on the body mounts....back body/chassis mount behind the bumper,open back door and look downwards....under the carpet were your feet go...get under it and look just in front of the axle the is a piece of 4"tube that runs accross the chassis....boot floor...open back doors and look at the door catch area....

gear box...second gear syncro...on the test drive change into 2nd gear quickly..most of the grind..it aint to bad if they do but better if they dont

engine...after test drive undo water header tank,there shouldnt to much pressure.(be very carefull)

axles...there shouldnt be any wine on exelleration or over run..front swivell housing's c link bushes etc etc..

electrics...can be a pain check everything works..if its an es go through everything carfully....

cam belt will cost you £250 ish to be changed....if the belt busts it aint the end of the world..they tend to bend push rods or snap wrocker arms rather than bend valves or hole pistons........

if you buy a good one you'll love it.buy a dog and you will need another mortgage to run it.....

;)

Is it private or trade sale?

That's some good advice from Woz, and to be fair he is a man that knows about them :yes:

Just a thought but I noticed you're in Congleton, had you thought of seeing if maybe someone would check it over for you? Maybe some who worked on them for a living and was an all round nice guy, who perhaps was quite tall, and lived not a million miles from Cheshire, and was maybe called Woz ......... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's the beauty of forums like these there's always someone to volunteer someone else to do things for others.

:big_boss:

Definetley check out the rear floor for rot i had a 300 tdi auto awesome offroad but in hindsight i would not get a auto again it was as slow as a boat.

Got myself an old SJ410 suzuki now goes anywhere credit crunch 4x4ing ;) .

;)

That's some good advice from Woz, and to be fair he is a man that knows about them :yes:

Just a thought but I noticed you're in Congleton, had you thought of seeing if maybe someone would check it over for you? Maybe some who worked on them for a living and was an all round nice guy, who perhaps was quite tall, and lived not a million miles from Cheshire, and was maybe called Woz ......... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's the beauty of forums like these there's always someone to volunteer someone else to do things for others.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: cheers aron!!!! if it aint a million miles away i'd have a look at it......

;)

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: cheers aron!!!! if it aint a million miles away i'd have a look at it......

Thanks alot woz but wouldnt want to put you out, trying to sort out a viewing this week if possible its near uttoxeter

;)

Thanks alot woz but wouldnt want to put you out, trying to sort out a viewing this week if possible its near uttoxeter

Woz can spit to Uttoxeter!!!

Well Woz, remember me saying I'd get you back ............ :D

hi , as a guy that owns a garage i agree with all the comments so far ,if you can get a knowlegable chap like woz who obviously knows his stuff to go with you to look at a disco go and get him to go with you and keep him in beer for a week it will be worth every penny, old discos can be a money pit .i have lost count of customers who have bought all sorts of vehicles for good money that are just about fit for scrap and have cost a bomb to get safe and reliable.if they had paid me an hours labour to have gone and check them out they could have saved many times that amount in remedial repairs. i should not complain as i make money out of it.but contrary to what some would have you believe us some of us motor trade guys do not get pleasure out of working class folks shelling out big bucks they can ill afford,rant over ,find a good disco and get pleasure out of it .they are a charismatic old beast and can be alot of fun....greasemonkey

hi , as a guy that owns a garage i agree with all the comments so far ,if you can get a knowlegable chap like woz who obviously knows his stuff to go with you to look at a disco go and get him to go with you and keep him in beer for a week it will be worth every penny, old discos can be a money pit .i have lost count of customers who have bought all sorts of vehicles for good money that are just about fit for scrap and have cost a bomb to get safe and reliable.if they had paid me an hours labour to have gone and check them out they could have saved many times that amount in remedial repairs. i should not complain as i make money out of it.but contrary to what some would have you believe us some of us motor trade guys do not get pleasure out of working class folks shelling out big bucks they can ill afford,rant over ,find a good disco and get pleasure out of it .they are a charismatic old beast and can be alot of fun....greasemonkey

All I can say is I wish I had a local mechanic like yourself Greasemonkey as you sound spot on! :clapper: More than willing to pay an hours labour or beer money for someone to check it out but i think it will be gone as it finishes on fleebay in two days, so I will take all the info I have gained and mark it all off against the vehicle. Thanks for everyone's input :clapper: