new dog

i got a new lurcher last week . took him out every day let him have his first run today on a rabbit he got it no problem but didnt bring it back to me he didnt run off with it

just stood and waited for me to go to him . hes 3 years old wheaton greyhound seems a bit shy with me but hope he comes round cos hes great any addvice about this breed would be welcome

post-10193-1224181894_thumb.jpg

i got a new lurcher last week . took him out every day let him have his first run today on a rabbit he got it no problem but didnt bring it back to me he didnt run off with it

just stood and waited for me to go to him . hes 3 years old wheaton greyhound seems a bit shy with me but hope he comes round cos hes great any addvice about this breed would be welcome

nice catch wazza
Guest oldskool

wheaten/greyhound eh!! you lucky devil :thumbs:

at 3 years old you may have your work cut out for you when it comes to retrieving... if he will chase a ball or something then it would be a good start... have ye tried him on the lamp yet???

wheaten/greyhound eh!! you lucky devil :thumbs:

at 3 years old you may have your work cut out for you when it comes to retrieving... if he will chase a ball or something then it would be a good start... have ye tried him on the lamp yet???

yes my brother tryed him on lAmp other nite he coursed a fox and a dear but didnt catch but had been fed earlyer . he wanted to just see if he would lamp cos was a bit wearie of why the bloke had sold him and we haddnt seen him run or out before going for him

Well done mate. Whilst training my pup I taught he to retieve a ball and as soon as he picked up the ball I squeaked like a rabbit for his recall. That way upon hearing a squeak he came to me. Worked for me, give it a go. Anyway best of luck. :good:

thanks il try him with a ball but hes 3 year old so hope hes not to old to learn :clapper:

No dog is too old to learn, mate - the older they are the more training it takes, & we are more likely to give up on it the longer it takes. Good luck with him, he's got the makings so it would seem.

i wont give up on him hes here to stay . il just have to keep trying . we taking him lamping to nite let you know how he does :boogie:

Edited by wazza